Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B2RE OR Ampeg SVT-350H

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by punkindrublic, Feb 18, 2006.

1. punkindrublic

punkindrublic

Dec 10, 2005
    I recently ran accross an SVT-350H Ampeg head, but im thinking about trading it for a B2RE.... They're both solid state.... The B2RE has an obvious power advantage (100 watts more) but i dont know all that much about these two items to just do it without some advice from my good friends on talkbass.... I also like the fact that the B2RE is rack-mountable and quite a bit lighter in weight (26 pound) compared to the SVT-350H (44 pounds) Well, you guys know more about the both than i do.... Im going to be running the one i choose through an Ampeg 8x10 if that has anything to do with it.... Give me some advice guys... I really appreciate it... :help:

2. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I thought those 2 heads were the same it was just the 300H was put into an SVT enclosure...

I would personally stay away from both if you are playing in a band as they are really the weakest 300 watts I have heard

3. I say stick with your current svt copy head. It looks cooler on top of that 8x10:D

300 watts is plenty through an 8x10 as well.

4. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    You won't notice an extra hundred watts as being much louder, keep your head, its loud through the 8x10.

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    What protoz said. Both pretty anemic heads.

6. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    +1, I traded mine in for lack of power, It's a pretty weak 350 watts. The old B2R's were just a rack mount SVT-350H, but the new B2RE is a solid state 3-Pro. 450 watts.
    Those will make an 810 work, but they won't push it by any means. 300 watts TUBE will push it.

7. jgrotto

jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    Boston
    I have a B2R with an 810 and play in a way way way loud metal band. No problem with volume at all. Although, the B2R is a little different than the B2RE. (And cheaper when you buy it used, in my opinion, has a better sounding preamp.)

8. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    The B2RE has a different preamp than the B2R? All the specs I've seen just advertise the 450 watt vs. 350 watt (at 4 ohms) power difference.

I have a B2R and it does a pretty good approx. of an SVT-III Pro (all though at its sweet spot, the SVT-III Pro just has that something extra).