Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B3-158 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

All-

I have a chance to pick up a Ampeg B3-158 combo in excellent condition for $250. Anybody play one of these before? I figured it would be great to leave at rehersal (rather than keep hauling my NA650 head and Aggy 2x10 back and forth). Is it loud enough for a 4 piece rock band playing at medium high volumes at practice? Here is some info in this unit:

It has the traditional Ampeg sound, and a full set of features. Designed for upright or tilt-back use. Equipped with casters for full portability. biamped with 100W to drive the lows and 50W dedicated to the highs. Features a 15" woofer and an 8" tweeter. 3 tone controls with Ultra Mid control, plus a 9-band graphic. Balanced line out. Effects loop.

Ampeg B3158 Bass Combo Features:

Designed for upright or tilt-back use
    Equipped with casters for full portability
    biamped with 100W to drive the lows and 50W dedicated to the highs
    Features a 15" woofer and an 8" tweeter
    Three tone controls with Ultra Mid control, plus a 9-band graphic
    Balanced line out
    Effects loop
    20"W x 34.5"H x 14.5"D
    84 lbs.

[​IMG]

2. Quadzilla

Anybody????

3. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    Been using one for years, it will do just fine at rehearsal.

4. Quadzilla

So I just got back from getting the Ampeg mentioned above at Guitar Center. Talk about a score. I thought it was used (because of the price). Turns out is is brand new and just been sitting there for a couple of years. The tags had a list price of around $1200 and the price they had been asking for it before they put it on clearance was $750!!! Score!!! Even if it doesn't work out, I prob won't loose a dime on it...

5. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

has one in the basemant. It is his wifes, but I use it. I have dialed in some pretty deep tones and some with a bit more note definition also. The first time it did take 3 or 4 minutes. Works better with a jazz bass (or at least quicker to dial in) than a Guild JS2 with HB's.
    One of our buds is trying to play bass and getting much better. He is very heavily into pop, snap, clink, clank and clunk sounds. he manges to peak that amp out a lot.
    I kinda like it. Due to current space requiremnts I can't have anything that "big". His has nerver crudded out or broke, of course it has only been moved 15-20 times.

Best of Luck,

Wesley R.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Killer deal dude. Way back in the day, the music store I always went to had one of those combos to test basses on. Man, I loved that thing. I thought it was so loud.

One popped up for sale about a month ago near me, so I bought it. I paid $300. I haven't used it yet, and I doubt I will. It looks cool, and sounds great.

-Mike

7. KOakley

KOakley

Sep 26, 2002
    Hampton Va
    I have aB 3158 that I used about 5 years as my main gigging amp. The only times it didn't have enough volume was when IMHO my bands stage volume got stupid loud. fortunately I always had PA support. Unfortunately my cabinet and the 15" speaker got busted when my truck got rear-ended. I recently opened a thread (so far not replied to) asking if anyone knows the cross-over frequency. My plan is to perhaps build a 2x8 or 2x10 floor monitor style combo incorporating the 3158 amp section for use as a small gig/practice amp. I need to know the X-over point so I can select my speakers. If anyone has this info, please chime in. Sorry about hi-jacking your topic. Congratulations on your purchase. Great sounding, versatile amp IMO, just try to avoid car wrecks and it should serve you well. Kerry

8. Quadzilla

Thanks for the reply Kerry! Good to know I made the right choice. For $250 for a brand new Ampeg, I had to snag it. Played it for a while last night. Seems very loud for it's rated wattage and the tone is awesome!!!!