Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B3 EQ Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pontz, Jun 11, 2004.

1. pontz

pontz

Oct 31, 2003
    CT
    I have an Ampeg B3 with a 9 band EQ that turns on by pulling out the volume knob. When I first got my bass (G&L) and this amp I was happy with the tone I could get from the bass, treble, and ultra mid, knobs. Now, I'm getting particular and want to play more with my sound. Can anyone offer me a starting point, some basic ideas about how an eq works?

Cheers,

Pontz

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I had an SVT-350H head with the same EQ compliment. Personally, I just don't like the sound of a graphic EQ at all...I can't really tell you why but it just doesn't sound "right". Maybe it's phase shift or phase distortion or something, maybe it's all in my head.

I was quite pleased with the bass and treble at about 1 o'clock, the ultra mid at about 10 or 11 o'clock.

My guess is that the best use of the graphic would be to adjust the tone of our amp to the room that you're playing in. If it's boomy, eats treble, etc.

Try varying your playing technique to control tone...

Have fun!!!!

3. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Whereas I could give you a really technical answer on exactly how EQ works, I'd rather give you some information you could actually use. I used to have a B3. I know the drive knob is a beast because it acts on more than one frequency, so I'd leave the drive knob all the way down to start.

I'd set the knobs to taste for a basic sound for a start. I know the 600Hz band has a good effect on the harmonics and raising it brings out your harmonics more. I'd be more judicious in the use of the 40Hz as too much makes the combo bottom out. Instead if you need the bottom punch, raise the 40Hz a little and rely on the 80Hz for the rest. Think of 300Hz as your low mids which you would most likely raise for playing fingerstyle to get that punch. You can also use a little of 150Hz for some punch as well. 900Hz is your high mids, probably best used for playing with a pick (ewww). I tend to think of 8kHz as shimmer or sparkle. I've never really used 2kHz, I usually end up cutting it because it makes the sound less annoying on the treble, this again depends on your bass. Well, I hope this helps somewhat.