1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg b328

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by istaticl, Jun 3, 2001.

1. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I've been looking into buying on of these amps for a while now but they are hard to find. I found one on ebay and its brand new. I wanted to know what the positives and negitives are of the amp if anyone has one and knows. Which would you prefer the B-2 or B328 (2 / 8 vs. 1 / 15). also whats a good price for this amp. thanks

2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I played through a B328 once and while it got a good variety of sounds and had a nice top end, it had pretty wimpy lows and started crapping out when turned up past low volume. 150 watts into 2-8" speakers is not the best recipe for beaucoup bass. Ampeg also made a biamped B3 combo with a 15 and an 8 that has a lot more booty but is significantly larger. They also made a B2 combo with 4-8s.

The B2 combo puts out 200 watts into its 8 ohm 15 and 350 into 4 ohms. The internal speaker is good for old-school tone but not the best for more modern sounds. You might be better off getting a B2R head (I got one new for $489) and separate speakers for more versatility. I've seen used B2R's for about $400- www.bassnw.com often has very good prices on factory-refurbished units--and the B2 15" combo for about $800 new, $500 used