Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B4 Lacking Power

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sincity, Sep 17, 2003.

1. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I have an Ampeg B4 going mono bridged (1100 watts)into an Ampeg SVT 4-10 SVT HLN cab (4 ohm).

The cab is rated 500 watts continuous and 1000 watts peak.

The problem is I have to set my Gain at 3:00 o'clock and my Main Volume at max to get the volume I need to be heard in my band in a small rehearsal space.

I have two guitarist. One is playing a Marshall stack with a JCM 900 head and the other is playing a Marshall 2x12 50 watt combo. The drummer hits hard.

I know that is a lot of sound, but I should not have to peg my amp to be heard in such a small space. Also, I stand and face my cab from across the room.

My question is. What can cause a loss of power on Solid State amps such as a B4?

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Its not that solid state amps lose power. You are right though you shouldnt have to crank your amp to hear it. Did you double sheck that you are in bridge mono mode? There is probably a switch on the back of the amp. If you were running one side in stereo and didnt know it you would only be getting 350 watts out of the amp instead of 1000. Then you would need to crank your amp to hear it. Thats all I can think of...

Jon