Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B410 tech problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MarkStockx, Mar 9, 2005.

1. MarkStockx

MarkStockx

Mar 9, 2005
    Hi Guys,

Just bought a new (...old) ampeg b410 combo. Old 4x10 combo with a great sound. I transported it this week and since then I have some technical problems.

When I turn on the amp and leave it on I get, at random, a low 'blopping' sound out of the amp. Al 4 speakers respond to this. It doesn't effect the sound, but it's not good. All cabels are well connected

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Thanks,

Mark

2. rjw2000

rjw2000

Jan 20, 2008
    I've used a B410 constantly since September of 1974. Originally it had a "lifetime warranty" but the old Ampeg went out of business, and the new Ampeg doesn't honor the warranty. These days, about every two years mine goes bad. Most typically, solder joints break inside. Often, the components get a circular break right around where the component is stuck into the circuit board. These are very hard to see, but after 35 years of vibration, they're very common. You can take out the four screws on the sides, slide the amp section out like a drawer, open it up and see if you notice any breaks. Look particularly at the connections on the rocker switches. You can take a soldering pencil and touch those spots, and they'll reseal. DON'T USE A LOT OF HEAT, AND PROTECT THE VARIOUS SEMICONDUCTORS! If you don't know what you're doing, don't even try that.

Caps go bad, (I've had a sandwich baggy full of them replaced) and there are some early integrated circuit "op amps" that go bad- you've got to make sure your tech replaces it with the right one. I've had some transistors fail, too.

I've got a great guy here in Minneapolis who resurrects mine. I've picked up an old V-4, which I've been using because my B410 is on the blink. I think I'll still fix it.

The B410 is powerful far beyond what its size should be. I've never played it with the volume much past the 9:00 setting. The only time I've taken it to 12:00 was balancing an entire marching band in the Minneapolis Metrodome for a Twins opener here in Minneapolis. Physically, they're just about indestructible. They are getting old and will need some repairs, but they are tough little buggers.

At age 55, hauling that 125# amp around today, and getting it into small cars without ripping them up is a challenge. Most of its life it's ridden in a trailer. I can't believe I used to drag it up three flights of stairs every night! I've just bought an SWR Workingpro's 10 Combo. That should take care of my jobbing needs. I'll keep the B410 at church. It's also a killer keyboard amp.

I hope things go well.

3. ac30boy

ac30boy

Oct 30, 2009
    I was in a band in high school (mid '70's) that played what was fairly current rock back then. I was one of the guitar players and the bass player had a B410. I thought the thing sounded pretty cool so for one gig the bass player and I switched amps for an evening. Now, that being the 1970's and distortion pedals were for girly-men I naturally cranked the amp up to 8 (3 o'clock). Boy, was that room rocking, especially when I went into my extended Robin Trower Too Rollin' Stoned solo. I also lined out from the B410 into my Fender Twin Reverb!

Btw - did I mention that I let the bass player use my 50 watt Marshall head for the gig? ;).