Ampeg B4R Fan Noise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jimbass55, Jun 23, 2005.

1. I just purchased an Ampeg B4R. I have it installed in a 4 space rack (it is 3 space) with a Rack tuner.

The fan comes on as soon as I power on the amp. It never shuts off, and after a little while of running it makes some "clanging" noises. I know I probably will not hear this at gig levels, but at low volumes this seems like it will be annoying.

Is this normal? I know the 4 space rack may sound small, but the rack tuner isn't deep so the ventilation should not be a problem. I am thinking of returning, but I have fallen in love with the amp, and if this is normal I will try to work through, if not it needs to go back. Let me know.

This thing sounds like a small engine plane.
  2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    That unit has a temperature-controlled fan.

It may come on at high speed, then slow down to the appropriate speed, or possibly stop, until the amp heats up some.
    It shouldn't be particularly noisy, although that may depend on lots of things, including if you set it on a "drummy" surface.

If it stays on high, may be that it has a problem. Of course, a "fan on high" problem likely isn't as bad as a "fan won't run" problem....but still.

A few of the fans have been noticed to develop a rattle, particularly at lower speed. If it bugs you, have it checked.