Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B4R issues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pmkelly, Apr 8, 2003.

1. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I was playing through my rig last night at practice, and it seemed that the volume was not there like it normally is. I was using my B4R with one BSE410HLF cabinet, and usually do not have any problems. But last night it seemed to have a lot less volume than normal. The only thing that I have changed lately is that I installed the head in a SKB rack, and I was wondering if the lack of ventilation could cause such an issue? Tonight I am going over all the connectors and cables to make sure that is all squared away... So does anyone have any ideas what could cause all of this? A secondary question, has anyone ever dealt with Ampeg's service before. I have had the amp for over a year, and never had an issue, but I am afraid that this one may require a professional touch...

If I do need to get a new head, I will probably stick with an Ampeg, and the 350H Classic looks pretty good to me. Anybody got any pros/cons on that amp? Thanks...

P@

2. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I've got to say that I really don't know why Ampeg designed their heads this way. I have an SVT 4-PRO and the ventilation slots are on the side as well. I recently rack mounted it and after 2 hours of practicing the other night, at a low volume, and running mono into an 8ohm cab I noticed the amp was quite warm.

My old SVT-3 had the ventilation was in the rear (IMO better design) and stayed much cooler when rack mounted. I don't know why Ampeg changed the design on some of their other models.

Like you said already, I would check all of the connections, cables, batteries in your bass (if it's active), etc...

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Hmm I've had my B4r in a SKB rack for about a year with no problems. These might be stupid questions but it never hurts to look. Did you accidentally plug into the -15db input? Do you use the EQ?, if so make sure the last slider hasn't been slid down that's the volume level for the EQ. Do you normally mono bridge into that cab? if so make sure the mono, bridge/ stereo button is in the proper position. Also if you are running effects through the effects loop the volume control on your effects along with the effects blend on front of the amp will affect your volume. BTW the 350 Is basically half of a B4r so if you are looking for more volume you will not get it with the SVT350H. That would be a step backwards. :bassist:

4. yeah, the 350h would be a backwards step by the way of features and power.

5. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    the 350H is an option if i get a new head... since I am generally running the B4r into one cab, I am only using it at 350 for the one side... ideally, I want to keep the B4r, but if I have to replace it, I really don't have the cash to pay for another... that is why the 350h is the alternative for now...

cb56, I have checked all of those settings, and believe me, they aren't stupid questions! i was more wondering about your SKB... which case are you using?

edit for the case question.... I just looked on your site an saw that your case is the Standard 4 space... do you ever have any issues with the head heating up?

P@

6. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    I use a 350H through a SVT 410HLF in a heavy, three piece band. The drummer is about as heavy handed as they come, and the guitarist cranks an all tube Marshall half-stack. I'll say that the head gets the job done -- my parts are audible in the mix; however, a bit more juice would be nice, especially since I like to dial in a good amount of lowend and roll off the highs.

Besides the slight power issue, the amp's very reliable and sounds pretty good -- nice and warm for a SSer.

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    The first time I used it in bridge mode I thought it got pretty hot, but no drop in volume. I usually run it in stereo mode into 2 4 ohm cabs. Last summer I used it in bridge mode outside about 100 degrees in the direct sun, I thought for sure it would crap out on me but it had no problems. Every once in a while I'll here the fan kick into high gear but that's about it. BTW Ampegs have a 5 year warranty so if you've only had yours a year or more I'd get it checked out by a certified Ampeg repairman.

8. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    yeah, that's gonna be the plan... I pulled it out of the case last night, and wired it up. It was running well, and stayed cool, but i am still concerned with the volume. I will probably end up running side-by-side with a friends amp this weekend, and after that I can figure out what I need to do... i just may leave it out of a case!

P@