AMPEG B4R or SVT-4 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chimaira, Feb 18, 2005.

1. chimaira

Feb 18, 2005

im getting a Ampeg SVT-410HLF and a SVT-18E soon.
    I wonder which head i should get: Ampeg B4r or SVT-4 Pro.
    Any experience? Thanks!!
  2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    SVT4pro, because I think you can biamp it.
  3. chimaira

Feb 18, 2005
    the b4r can also run biamping.
    the 4pro has more power: 2x 490 watt @4ohm.
    b4r: 2x 340 watt @ 4ohm.
    is there a big difference in a live situation when i use both cabs?
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    that wont give you a significant volume difference. IMO, 99% of the time you'll like the way cabinets sound run full range rather than biamped anyhow. I would say try them both and see which one you like the tone of the best when the eq is set flat.
  5. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    One thing for sure, that rig will rumble the floor,walls and everything else. I think it's just a matter of whether you want a tube pre amp or a solid state pre amp. and that's something only you can answer.
  6. I have A/B'd both amps on an ampeg 610, 810, and 410. Tested with a Stingray 5, Fender american jazz, and Warwick thumb 6 (basslines installed, wenge neck and brass nut also), and in EVERY situation the B4R sounded head and shoulders better than the 4-pro. The 4-pro lacked any midrange definition or punch, the lows were muddy, and the highs were brittle. The B4R sounded great all around.
  7. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'd bridge a B4R into it. The power levels seem like they'd match the 410Hlf better (if I recall my Ampeg knowledge properly)

Edit: Ah... you wanna add the 18 cab. Didnt see that. Bridging wont work in that case. I'd get the 4Pro for a couple hundred extra Watts over the B4R. There also might be a power amp out there that would give you more power per side. Maybe 600-800Watts, but it probably wont be necessary.
  8. chimaira

Feb 18, 2005
    im thinkin bout to get the Fender 800 Pro instead of the B-4R,
    because the 800 pro is much cheaper and i got more power.
    Fender 800 Pro: 800 Watt @ 4 ohm, 1200 Watt @ 2 ohm.
    What you think about that? Are there sound differences between the 800 pro and the B-4R? Both of them are solid state amps. Thanks!!
  9. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    As far as power goes, the Fender is perfect for you, since you'll have 4ohm cabs. Another possible option is the Groove Bass 1200... although I have never heard any mention of the tone of that amp.

I've heard some Fender heads that really sound nice. The B4R would be in my rack right now, if it werent for the hefty price tag... so I would think that the financial savings alone would be enough to make you look elsewhere from the B4R.
  10. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Are you sure you mean an SVT-18E? They are not current product. And they are 8 ohms.

Assuming you DO mean the 18E.....then

By going for 2 speakers, of which one is 8 ohms, you are severely limiting your options.

Both amps will bridge at 4, but you won't be able to while using both speakers, because the two speakers have a parallel total below 4 ohms.

One channel will be weak in stereo, because the 8 ohm load won't draw as much power as the 4 ohms on the other side...ok, "only" 2 or 3 DB difference, but you use the 18 to get lows, and you won't get as much......200W vs the 340W (nominal).

To get the most out of the setup, you probably would want to have the option of bridging, which gets you 1000 or 1200 watts, depending on unit.

You could just forget the 18, and use the 410HLF with your choice of the two amps. You can get the 1000 or 1200 watts that way.

If you demand a large-cone speaker, the current SVT-18 (no "E") is 4 ohms, which at least gets you the matching power in "stereo" mode, although it also nixes out bridge mode.

Or, the SVT-15E and SVT-410E are both 8 ohms, and give you some options, bridge with one or both, run biamped or "stereo" for lower max power, run with just one, etc.....

This is going to totally depend on what cabinets you like. We can theorize all day on what gets you the most power, but it's for nothing if you don't like the sound of "our best option".

Notable point: It takes 3 to 6 times more power to make a definitely noticeable difference to most people, once you have "enough" power.
  11. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Ok, this is just my opinion but when I bought my B4r the most important thing on the list was tone. Second was power and third was price.
    The Ampeg had the tone I wanted so that was a no brainer. The power was definatley there.
    I justified paying the price for the amp by realizing it had a 5 year warranty. The amp was under $1000 but I'll use the $1000 price tag for easy math. That meant 5 years at $200 a year (Which is two average paying gigs for me) for an amp that would be fixed for free if anything went wrong. After 5 years I could start the whole process all over again if I wanted. Get the amp that sounds best to your ears or you will not be happy.