Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B4R vs Ampeg SVT4PRO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Macbeth56, Feb 9, 2005.

1. I know the SVT4PRO is better, but is it THAT much better?
    Is it the 500$ more better?
    Discuss why, and what you think.

THANKS AGAIN
    zach

2. B4R is totally SS right? , whereas the SVT4 Pro has a tube preamp (aswell as a hell of alot more powerful SS power amp) , go, listen to both, some people seem to think tubes are overrated, maniacs :p , but the SVT 4 will give you a hell of alot better sound because of the tube preamp

Lugging the SVT4 Pro about will probably build you up like a brick ****house aswell :p

3. ha thanks for the help. its just hard to come up with the cash for the svt4

4. I know this isnt always the best place, but try second hand on ebay, im trying to aquire an SVT 2 or SVT 2 Pro off that at the minute :p

5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i really like my b4r. Yes if i had the choice between the 2 id probably pick up the svt4, but $500 better, no i dont think so. Thats def up to the person on whether they think its worth it but i dont. An ampeg is gonna give you an ampeg sound IMO. The svt4 is nice but i didnt notice a huge huge difference thats worth $500 to me.

6. something else you could note, is you could use the $500 extra to buy another cab (well a 4x10 or 1x15)

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I guess it just all depends on how important it is for you to have tubes in your rig. I've owned an Ampeg B4r and have been very happy with it. As far as the SVT4 being alot more powerful, I'm not sure it would be THAT big of a difference.

a few months back I decided I wanted to try some tubes in my rig and bought an Ampeg SVPCL to run through my B4r's power amp. While I do think it is an improvement, I was very surpised when I A/B'd the SVPCL with the B4R's pre amp. The B4r was able to Sound very similar to the tone I got from the SVPCL. So I guess what I am saying is if you get the B4r now, you could always pay the $500 later and get an Ampeg tube pre amp later if you wanted.

If I was starting over I probably would go with the SVPCL and the Ampeg power amp. SVT1600 I think is what it's called. But either way think you'll have a great sounding,powerful amp.

8. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    If the B4R is just a louder B2R, IMO it is a killer head! The B2R is the budget Ampeg (well, it was before NAMM this year), but it still sounds damn good in the band context.

Lync