1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg b4r

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spikyhedgehog, Dec 10, 2004.

1. spikyhedgehog

spikyhedgehog

Dec 10, 2004
    England
    Hey, I have just bought a Ampeg B4R from the States. I was wondering if anybody could tell me what I will need to convert the power so it will work here in Britain.

So far I am assuming I just need a Step down transformer that will hold 800VA.

If anyone else could give me some details I will be very happy.

:) Thanks

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Don't have a clue but maybe Ampeg Insider will see this thread and help you out. Enjoy the B4r it's a great sounding and powerfull amp.

3. Pop along to your nearest building site and look out for a bright yellow site transformer pick it up and leg it !!

You need a 115 vac to 230 vac Transformer, try RS Components and make sure the power of the amp is matched with the transformer.

Why did you buy a 115v amp for the UK ?? They are a nightmare to sell on as everybody is suspicious of them.

Good luck and make sure you make a up a power lead that will prevent somebody or you even, connecting it by mistake to 230vac as you will blow the sucker

4. spikyhedgehog

spikyhedgehog

Dec 10, 2004
    England
    I bought it because it was £700 cheaper. That was a bonus... :meh:

I am assuming I will need something which is the same wattage as the amp, becuase the power requirements for the amp are stated at 800VA on the ampeg site. I can buy a transformer for about £40 which isn't too bad.

If anybody else can just verify that this is what I will need. And nobody is going to be touching my amp so I have no need to worry about somebody pluging it up wrong. :cool:

5. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Most Ampegs I have seen can be set for 100, 120 or 230/240.

A.I. should have the info though.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Looking at the manual on-line, the US domestic model is 120 Vac only, the export model is 115/230.

Hopefully they have the same power transformer with dual primary windings.

The one problem that I see is that the circuit breaker would be sized for a 120 Vac input. One used for the 230 volt mains version would have a lower current rating.

Please PM Ampeg Insider....Jerrold will be very helpful, I'm sure.

7. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I PM'd you back.

However, just as general info, that unit, and most other Ampeg units, has a universal transformer in it.

Re-connecting it, and changing the circuit breaker does the job to convert to 100V 120V, and 230V or 240V 50/60 Hz. Sometimes there is an internal fuse or two that should be changed to the european style IEC fuse.

8. spikyhedgehog

spikyhedgehog

Dec 10, 2004
    England
    Thanks, saved me £50 :)