Ampeg b4r

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spikyhedgehog, Dec 10, 2004.

  1. spikyhedgehog


    Dec 10, 2004
    Hey, I have just bought a Ampeg B4R from the States. I was wondering if anybody could tell me what I will need to convert the power so it will work here in Britain.

    So far I am assuming I just need a Step down transformer that will hold 800VA.

    If anyone else could give me some details I will be very happy.

    :) Thanks
  2. cb56


    Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Don't have a clue but maybe Ampeg Insider will see this thread and help you out. Enjoy the B4r it's a great sounding and powerfull amp.
  3. Pop along to your nearest building site and look out for a bright yellow site transformer pick it up and leg it !!

    You need a 115 vac to 230 vac Transformer, try RS Components and make sure the power of the amp is matched with the transformer.

    Why did you buy a 115v amp for the UK ?? They are a nightmare to sell on as everybody is suspicious of them.

    Good luck and make sure you make a up a power lead that will prevent somebody or you even, connecting it by mistake to 230vac as you will blow the sucker
  4. spikyhedgehog


    Dec 10, 2004
    I bought it because it was £700 cheaper. That was a bonus... :meh:

    I am assuming I will need something which is the same wattage as the amp, becuase the power requirements for the amp are stated at 800VA on the ampeg site. I can buy a transformer for about £40 which isn't too bad.

    If anybody else can just verify that this is what I will need. And nobody is going to be touching my amp so I have no need to worry about somebody pluging it up wrong. :cool:
  5. notanaggie

    notanaggie Guest

    Sep 30, 2003
    Most Ampegs I have seen can be set for 100, 120 or 230/240.

    A.I. should have the info though.
  6. BillyB_from_LZ

    BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

    Sep 7, 2000
    Looking at the manual on-line, the US domestic model is 120 Vac only, the export model is 115/230.

    Hopefully they have the same power transformer with dual primary windings.

    The one problem that I see is that the circuit breaker would be sized for a 120 Vac input. One used for the 230 volt mains version would have a lower current rating.

    Please PM Ampeg Insider....Jerrold will be very helpful, I'm sure.
  7. Jerrold Tiers

    Jerrold Tiers

    Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I PM'd you back.

    However, just as general info, that unit, and most other Ampeg units, has a universal transformer in it.

    Re-connecting it, and changing the circuit breaker does the job to convert to 100V 120V, and 230V or 240V 50/60 Hz. Sometimes there is an internal fuse or two that should be changed to the european style IEC fuse.
  8. spikyhedgehog


    Dec 10, 2004
    Thanks, saved me £50 :)