Ampeg B4R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmangreg, May 22, 2002.

1. I am getting an Ampeg B4 R and would like to know if anyone can shed some light on them.I have done a review search but I have basically come up empty handed. I just want to know how they compare with SVT Pro 4's and the SVT Classics or any other information I can get.I'm getting the older model Ampeg B4.
  2. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I think the B4r came out in '98 or '99 so it can't be too much of an older model. The B4 lettering on the front is different but everything else looks the same. I like mine, but can't compare it to a 4pro or 2pro because I've never played through either one. I imagine since the 4 and 2 pro have tubes in them they will sound quite different than the B4r since it is all solid state. You've probably seen my posts about trading in my new SVT3pro on the B4r so you know where I stand on that comparison. I like the B4r because it has a clean tone, lots of power and plenty of eq options so I can tweak my tone anyway I want. The texture (tube simulator) adds a nice amount of distortion when desired. I like to use the texture feature whenever we are playing a song by Cream or Jimi Hendrix. Works great.

here's my rig