1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg B50-R as a pre-amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by G00D+~VIBES, Oct 20, 2009.

1. G00D+~VIBES

G00D+~VIBES

Nov 21, 2008
    Kansas City
    Hello all,

I'd like to take the head out of this combo and, using the line out on it as an input signal to my other Ampeg combo (B3158). Essentially make it a pre. Then at shows, I'd take the whole combo and use it as a monitor for my drummer. I could always put a mini-pin to 1/4 inch adapter in the headphone out so as to disable the signal to the internal cab when I've got it unhooked.

Ok that's it. This little head is a tone monster that I can't seem to reproduce through any of the rest of my gear. Oh, and I've already used the line out as an input before and it works great once I get all of the levels in check.

Summary: Will it cause any damage to pull the B50-R combo head out and use it as a pre-amp?

2. G00D+~VIBES

G00D+~VIBES

Nov 21, 2008
    Kansas City
    Maybe a little love before bed?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I imagine not a lot of people have done it, and that's why you're not getting replies. Usually, combo heads are built not to be removed, and there's usually some issue with them, like no cover or something. Pull it out and take a look and see what you think. It can easily be put back if it doesn't work (at least I hope it can ;) ).

4. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    You might want to mount it on a base board of some sort. I pulled the head out of my B-100R just to see if I could make it look more like a Portaflex. What I noticed was the transformer added extra weight to the back side of the head, not allowing it to balance so well. Mounting it on a board that extended beyond the transformer would help. I never got around to completing that and have just gigged with the B-100 as is. But it should work. You may also want to add some sort of sides to board as well to cover the openings that the cabinet normally covers.