1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg B50R or B100R..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by okc-zee, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Have a chance to pick one up of either...My choice..The 100 looks a bit used,but the 50 is mint as new...both sound awesome...both made in the USA..I don't play out much anymore...Mostly at home and a little jam with friends every so often...the 100 is going for $350,and the 50 is $200...What's your opinion? As soon as I pick one,the other will be kept by the owner...He's thinning his herd out and is keeping one of everything...These are the last of what he has to sell...

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I own both.
    If your not going to play out, get the B50R.
    To me it sounds just a little better than the B100R.
    Tighter, a tad faster, both are great amps.
    The B50R also records great.

3. RC52

RC52

Apr 10, 2010
    Laurens, SC
    B100R is awesome! Go for it !

4. both those prices are very fair. get both!

5. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    If you don't plan to gig, the B50R will suit you fine. But I gig out regularly, and I use the B100R with my oldies project. One of my all time favorite Ampegs- and even though it's only 100 watts, it's a loud 100 watts.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, hard to go wrong with either.

7. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    I owned a B100R. I miss that amp more than anything! Let me tell you what is so great about it IMO. It is one of the smoothest sounding 100 watt combos I ever played. I have played through Fender, Crate, GK, Peavey, Trace and Nemesis solid state combo amps (I use to work in a music store), and though they all have their good sides none were as smooth as the B100R. It has a great speaker that doesn't have a lot of white noise, the EQ is simple and some of the most effective I have used. I could almost write a book on why that amp is one of the most awesome things ever!

The biggest gig I ever played was an outdoor gig with 250+ people, and I lined it to the PA. It was more than enough for stage volume, and through the PA it delivered one of the prettiest live bass tones I have ever heard. I will get another B100R some day, and I will hug it. Not only was it the best amp I ever owned...it was like a friend. A best bass player's friend! It would take one heck of a woman to take precedence over the awesomeness of the B100R by Ampeg!

8. He let me take both of them home to try out for a couple of days...They both really sound awesome...The B50 still has the freakin' tags on it,and still has the clear plastic over the control panel...It's like brand new...Both made in USA...Maybe he'll let me take both...I'll let you know how this turns out...

9. spike42

spike42 Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2007
    If I were choosing between those two specific amps, I would
    take the B50 hands-down. Based not only on price and stated
    condition (new with tags), but on general availability. I see far
    fewer B50s for sale, generally speaking. So grab one while you
    can; you can usually rustle up a B100 with a little patience.

10. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I owned two B100Rs, it's one of my all time favorite combos. If it was up to me I'd take that one because its loud 100w will go further in a band setting, provided you don't mind the 60 lb weight.

I agree that the B50R is nice as well.

11. RC52

RC52

Apr 10, 2010
    Laurens, SC
    Best thing would be to get both of them! I have a 100 , love it. Good luck!

12. Danny K

Danny K

Mar 2, 2017
    Here I find myself in the exact situation! Talking to two people, one with the B50r(In mint condition) and a B100r(Alright condition) The 50 is asking 250 and the 100 275. Think I'm going with the 50 though as I'm personally looking for something for recording purposes. And I've heard numerous testaments to the notion that the 50 records better than the 100. And the condition is just perfect! Looks awesome.

High Camp likes this.