1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg B50R Scratchy Pots. How to open the cab. to fix them?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by walt68, Sep 21, 2017.

1. walt68

walt68

Apr 14, 2012
    I love my B50R, but don't get a chance to use it much, so the pots have become scratchy. Is it a big deal to 1) open it up, or 2) spray some tuner cleaner into the pots?
    Thanks in advance for any and all help.

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Remove the four screws on the top back panel. The amps is attached to the cabinet, it will be obvious when you get the back panel off. The pots are mounted to the PCB so it is hard to get in there. The pots should be cleaned with Deoxit D5 spray (DeoxIT - Caig, D5 Spray, Perfect Straw). You have to spray a small amount inside where the pot terminals go into the metal case. Getting to that port is difficult. Try bending the straw supplied with the Deoxit. A flexible tube attached to the Deoxit’s straw can help. You can strip a long piece of sheathing from a wire of the correct diameter and use that. I use a length of teflon spaghetti tubing. The alternative is to disassemble the amp.

3. walt68

walt68

Apr 14, 2012
    Wow. Thank you for the super-detailed response! (Now I've got to bite the bullet and get in there.)