Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B50R vs. Tech 21 Landmark 60

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phillm47, Dec 19, 2003.

1. No place close to demo the Landmark 60.

Anyone play both of these little amps? If you have, which would you choose and why? I'm focusing more on tone - the lack of an XLR out on the Ampeg will not affect my decision much. Thanks Gentleman! :bassist:

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    choices choices...

I've owned a b50r, but not even heard the landmark60, that is the 12" version. I heard the 10" landmark60 (the wedge) and I didn't like the sound of it SOLO, my friend FISHBULB (here on the TB) loves his 10" landmark. I'm holding my breath for the 12" version. in general I LOVE TECH21!!!! guitar and bass models.

as far as the b50r goes if I remember right it was a mellow sounding 12" 50watts, no speaker out, but does have a 1/4" line out. I had a hard time keeping up in volume with an acoustic drummer in a basement situation. THE B50R IS THE ***ONLY*** COMBO THAT I'VE THOUGHT ABOUT BUYING AGAIN. solo it had a nice mellow tone, not as heavy as the b100r, but nice and mellow. would be great for solo practicing or small low volume clubbing. I also had a SWR WM-10, and ampeg B328.

HOWEVER, I think I will probably lean towards the tech21 12" landmark 60 if I could not hear either combo. I ***KNOW*** the landmark60 combined with the RBI sansamp tone technology will be VERY flexible tone-wise.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I recently heard the landmark 60 12" and liked it very much!! I would probably choose the landmark over the b50r.

4. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000

5. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    steve, between the wm10 and the b50r I'd probably take the wm10 with an extention cab. I use to have wm10 with ext cab and found it ALOT louder than the b50r. remember the question of this thread is between the b50r and the landmark 60.... after hearing the 60 and knowing the wonders of RBI tech 21 sound shaping I'd choose the landmark 60 hands down over the b50r.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thanks McRelly.

8. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    well, just for the record I tried out a landmark 60 and have concluded that I do not like the tone of the 12" speaker they chose to put in it. I plugged one of my aguilar gs112s into it and that sounded MUCH better to me, so I think I'll be saving up my money for another power amp so I can have a small aggie/RBI/amp rig at home and leave my 2aggie/Rpm/stewart at church.

I think the landmark60 can appeal some people, but I'm just too picky about tone.