Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B5r and Bag End S15-D Thoughts.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by swampface, Mar 16, 2001.

1. swampface

swampface

Mar 8, 2001
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Well, my new rig arrived yesterday, an Ampeg B5-r and a Bag End S15-D, just thought I'd share my experiences with it so far with you.

Sound:
    Great tone, a bit more eq than the ampeg has would be helpful, the 3-band just doesn't give quite the control I'd like. If I was playing a 4-string, this cab would be awesome, unfortunately, I can hear it taper off as I move down the b string, I guess that gives me an excuse to buy another cab..<grin> It's fairly loud right now, though not quite loud enough. The single 8-ohm cabinet on this amp doesn't quite have the power I'd like, and I probably won't have much room left over to turn it up once I've got a good volume on stage. (heh, another reason to get another cab)

Features:
    I don't know that the features on the Ampeg will be of that much use to me. The overdrive can't even begin to compare to the sound I get out of my Boss ODB-3, and the octave divider isn't really useful playing low on a 5-string, unless I was playing through an ELF system. I haven't had a chance to try out the effects loop, but I'm not expecting anything amazing out of an effects loop.. The thing this amp has going for it, is it being rated 500w@2Ohms, so I've got room to upgrade for a while.

Size:
    The Ampeg is a 3-space, rack-mountable amp, about 33 pounds. The Bag End Cabinet is really small! 18x18x15, it really puts out an amazing amount of sound for being so small and portable.

Well, those are my first impressions with it, I'll let you know if anything changes.

-Swampface

2. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Thanks Swampface - very interesting! I'm awaiting delivery of an S-15D myself. I'll be using mine with a Hartke 3500 (which was just delivered a few minutes ago! :cool: ).

What are your impressions of the Bag End, other than its small size? Do you think it gives enough mids and highs?

3. swampface

swampface

Mar 8, 2001
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I think the mid's and Highs are pretty good for a single 15, they seemed fairly crisp and clear to me. I played some fairly overdriven sound and some slap through it and both were pretty clear to me. If I had a bit more Eq to play with, I could have probably gotten a better sound, but overall I was quite happy with the mids/high end. It was one of my biggest worries about ordering the s15-d as well, and I wasn't disappointed in it.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Swampface, if you want a more full range rig, add a Bag End 15 with the co-axial (S15X-D), and you'll have a perfect rig.

Im surprised you dont think they handle a B that well, my bag ends (while not 15s) handle them GREAT, and every 15 ive played through sounded awesome.

But loud, arent they? :D

5. swampface

swampface

Mar 8, 2001
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Yeah, it is pretty damned loud.. I was actually thinking about a s15b-d, since I'm pretty happy with the upper end already, I'll probably have a better Idea what I want in a few months when I'm ready to spend some more..

6. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I did my 1st gig with my Ampeg B248/Bag End S15-D tonight. The Ampeg has four 8" drivers+tweeter and the amp puts out 350 watts @ 4 ohms,which is what you get when running the Bag End with it.It sounded good but I could tell that the Bag End is more efficient than the Ampeg's speakers 'cause I was hearing it's characteristic sound more loudly.I wish there was a way to balance the 2 speaker sets.Of course,this would be an easy feat with a stereo amp but the Ampeg is mono.

7. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    howdy,

i have the ampeg svt3 pro and 2 bag end
    15-d's. the sound is very nice and the
    portability is awesome!

one thing i noticed is that 2 15's makes a
    HUGE difference over just one, although
    i played a show last night w/ just one and
    it did fine.

the best part of the rig is that you take only
    what you need.

incidently, the B-5 seems kind of whimpy for
    such a big amp...nice it can go to 2 ohms, but
    the 15's are 8 ohms so even w/ 2 15's you'll
    only reach 4 ohms. how much did you pay for
    the B5?

did you get it for the classic Ampeg sound?
    Bassnorthwest has svt3 pros for around 700
    bucks these days.

cheers.

8. swampface

swampface

Mar 8, 2001
    Ann Arbor, MI
    After playing a show with the new rig, I'd say it hit's the low b quite well. I'll probably add another cab to the setup later so I can have a bit more headroom, but it's actually working quite well at the moment. I'm guessing I'll stay with this head for a while, unless an incredible deal comes my way.

I payed 600 for the b-5r, was pretty much the most bang for the buck I could find, with a lot of room to upgrade/add more cabinets as time goes on. I was trying to go with a decent setup for the least amount of money, while still having room to upgrade (and avoiding a combo). I think I succeeded, payed 1100 for the rig, including shipping.

I also figure I can add another bag end cab and still be incredibly portable. As long as I can fit my rig in my car (a 98 monte carlo) I'm happy.