Ampeg B5R at 2 ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crazyphil, Aug 28, 2002.

1. I'm thinking of grabbing this bad boy but I'm concnered about the 2 ohm rating. Wouldn't it heat up and cut out at 2 ohms? Is the sound quality lower at 2 ohms?
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The manual says it devellops 675 W @ 2 ohms, so yes it's duable.

Sound quality will remain unaffected.

You will have less headroom, but with so much power, who cares ?
  3. What exactly do you mean by headroom?
  4. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    675 watts a 2 ohms? I thought it was 500... that's what it says on the Ampeg site and every other dealer site out there.
  5. MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    it is 675 peak watts and 500 RMS watts
  6. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    It is capable of handling a 2 0hm load... but IMHO having your amp running at 2 ohms will just wear down your amp much faster than it would at 4 or 8 ohms...

There are some folks who know much more about it than I do... but I just thought I would throw that out there to ya
  7. MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    The amp is designed to handle a 2 ohm load so I wouldn't worry about running into any problems.
    But the amp would definately run at a cooler temperature when pushing a higher ohm load.

That would only seem logical.

You could push a 2.6 ohm load by running a 4 ohm and an 8 ohm cab off it.
  8. To elaborate on Morgan M's post:

Running a 2.6ohm load would create roughly 400w RMS of output power, based on my math...which may be glazed (as opposed to fuzzy, but I believe that term was worn out in the Y2K Presidential campaign). It just so happens that my next big gig may see me running my B5R at 2.6 or 2 ohms. It'll depend on what Guitar Center loans us as the sponsor of the Firefighter's Benefit Bash on 9/11. (see gig calendar and a Miscellaneous thread, "Calling All AZ-area TBers" for more info)
    I run the B5R into a Genz Benz "convertible combo," a 2x10 with a 2-space rack for the amp. This is 200w at 8ohms. I am hoping GC loans us a Goliath Sr. or Goliath III (the other option was an SVT 8x10 but we didn't wanna haul it), but I have yet to have confirmation. I shall be sure to give feedback if indeed the load is 2ohms.
  9. MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    let us know what happens, and how it works out.
  10. Since the amp is factory rated into 2 ohms I would assume it is stable; but I was just concerned about the sound quality of 2 ohms vs. 4+ ohms.
  11. The sound quality should be OK. The only time I've run into any sound problems with my amps, combos or heads, was when I was running them close to MAX, and that was with some older, suspect cabinets. With my current Classic series Ampeg cabs, all fairly new, I've not had a problem with my Ampeg or Peavey heads.

If you're running down below 80% then you probably won't have a problem. You may not even have one at 100%. It all depends on the amp itself and the cabinets you're running with it.

It's not really the ohms so much, as long as you're not below the minimum rating for the amp, but the output level you're running at.

Keep Thumpin'! Sammy!