Ampeg B5R or SVT 3 Pro ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by icks, Sep 1, 2002.

1. B5R

12 vote(s)
  2. SVT 3 Pro

18 vote(s)
  1. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I was wondering which is better ?
    Here they are retailed 1000 € both ....
    I play mostly punk but I'd rather have a large pattern of sounds....

I like Green Day Blink 182 sounds, NGF, mest and so on.... but I like also Flea, rage sounds... ( large patterns :p )
  2. I voted for the SVT3 (thats what I have), but for your needs the B5R is a little bit more versatile since it has the distortion channel. Most people say the SVT3 is over priced and under powered, but I have no complaints. Try both if you can, as one might suit your needs better than the other.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I use an Ampeg SVT4Pro, and am able to get about any sound I want out of it. The 3Pro is a similar head, but with less power. I have also heard the complaints about the 3Pro being underpowered, but I wouldn't know if this is true or not. I had my 4Pro tested, and it is putting out everything Ampeg claims it is supposed to.

I have never tried the B5R, so I can't comment on that one. So I voted for the 3 Pro.:)
  4. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    If I had to choose between the B5 and SVT3 I would go with the B5. Of course there are more choices which is why I bought the B4. But this is a decision you will have to make by yourself. Probably half the people that will respond to your thread will say go with the SVT3 and half will say the B5. I have played through the B5 and can say it sounds just like the B2 with a few extra bells and whistles. Plus it will push a 2 ohm load. (pretty scary):D As far as Ampegs power ratings go, I'm sure they all put out the power that they state on the back of the amp. If anyone has proof otherwise I'm sure Ampeg would love to hear about it.

Ryan Lunneborg,
    Does the SVT4 have the pre amp tube drive control that the SVT3 has? I've never played through a SVT4 and was just curious because that is the feature of the SVT3 that I don't like.
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Nope, it doesn't.
  6. whats does the tube gain really do
  7. deluxeg

May 5, 2001
    I say go with the SVT3. I have one that I run through an 8 ohm Eden 410. I set all the tone controls flat and it sounds awesome. I used it at a gig a few days ago and had no problems at all hearing myself. Also you say you like Blink 182, according to Mark Hoppus uses the SVT3 as does Les Claypool.
  8. clay pool the reson i got mine. and i really pluse i really liek the sound with a warwick or fender.
  9. Audiosolace

Audiosolace Guest

Oct 8, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I put in another vote for the SVT3. I used to own a B5R (only reason being that I got an incredible deal), and though it definitely rocked, it lacked the kind of tone control that a 9 band EQ offers up. Not only that, but it didn't have that tube warmth that you'll be able to get with the 3 Pro. I traded my B5R toward my 4 Pro, and I haven't looked back.

:bassist: If you're able to get a 3 Pro for the same price as a B5R, then go for it!