Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B5R, sounds underpowered??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JohnPativens, Mar 1, 2006.

1. JohnPativens

JohnPativens

Sep 20, 2005
    Italy
    Hello there,

I tried this head today, with my TRB6II and an Ampeg Classic HLF 4ohm cabinet. It definitely sounds underpowered to me. It was like if those 300W@4ohm were so weak! :crying:
    Even at 3/4 of its master and half volume..
    I'm disappointed cause I like its preamp section, but its power amp doesn't seem to supply those 300W.

I tried a GK400 RB IV last week, and its 180W@8ohm are so much louder according to me.

Anyone having experience with this head?

2. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've tried numerous Ampeg heads in the past (SVt-4,SVT-3 and SVT-2 Pro) and I've always found them to be underpowered. I've found other less powerful GK, Hartke, SWR much louder compared to hte Ampegs. I dunno if maybe there's something wrong with yours but I know that I've felt the same with all AMpeg heads that I've tried. To bad cause they are very good for some types of sounds.

I dunno if this is correct so somebody feel free to correct me, but I read somewhere that it's the preamo section of Ampeg amps that has a low gain. The power section is there and I remember reading that the preamp section can be modded to provide better gain for the power part of the amp. Again, feel free to correct me if this is inaccurate.

I've tried or owned a Hartke 3500 and GK 400RB and 800RB that are around that 300watts @ 4 ohms rating and I've never had to go more than half the volume to get good volume. I used my Hartke 3500 for 3 years with a Peavey TVX410 and played a medium sized club w/o PA and I always played with preamp at 5 and volume at 3-4. That was with a loud as hell drummer, guitarist and singer.

Keep searching about this. I know there's a lot of people around here that know more about this than I do, but this is my opinion from what i've gone through.

Peace...

3. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i had one. weak. 500w @ 2ohms though. might be louder w/ another cab.

4. JohnPativens

JohnPativens

Sep 20, 2005
    Italy
    I see...they should do something to develop a good power amp section in those heads, it definitely would be a better product.

5. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    I think they are... at least their newer products all seem to have more and more power.

That aside, 300 solid state watts just aint that much. Especially if you use a lot of bass boost on an active bass - all your headroom gets sucked up by EQ with nothing left for volume. Instead of boosting the low EQ, just use more volume to get bigger lows. A mid scoop will also make it sound like you have more bass without boosting the lows. Just be careful not to use too much scoop or it will kill your volume too.

6. JohnPativens

JohnPativens

Sep 20, 2005
    Italy
    I thought maybe those Ampeg heads work better with speakon connectors than with 1/4 ones....Could be