Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B5R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B.Hendrix, Jul 25, 2000.

1. B.Hendrix

B.Hendrix

Mar 24, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    Got my August Bassplayer today in the mail and read the favorable review of the Ampeg B5R head. Seems like quite alot of "bang for the buck"! I like the idea of having 2 channel capability (clean & overdrive) and the ability to blend the two. Also, the octave divider/doubler sounds like a great feature. I can't wait to demo one of these amps (haven't seem them yet in the local stores). Anyone been able to try one out yet?

2. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    I played through a B5R for a few minutes last week at a GC. The clean side sounded very good - solid, tight typical Ampeg tone. Maybe it was just me (probably was), but I couldn't dial in a good sound on the OD channel. It seemed to go from no OD to too much in about an eighth of a turn. Just sounded bizarre. And I didn't care for the "octaver" feature at all. Seemed like a gimmick more than a feature.

3. B.Hendrix

B.Hendrix

Mar 24, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for the feeback old blue! Thats interesting - Bass Player really gave it high marks on all the features and I have found their reviews to be pretty accurate. I'm still looking around for one to try out. Anyone else have any thoughts on this amp??

[This message has been edited by B.Hendrix (edited July 26, 2000).]

4. phunky345

phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    I really like the b-series amps. I've played the b2r and the b4, and they both kick ass. The b2r is similar to the b5, but doesn't have special effects. I recommend any of the three b amps.
    kyle

5. D.I.X.bass

D.I.X.bass

Jan 19, 2010
    i own the b5r bass head and play through ampeg svt 4x10 hlf classic bass cab sound great couldnt be happier plenty of bunch in the clean channel but i dont like the distorted channel so dont use it but all in all im happy with the set up

6. JQ1986

JQ1986

Oct 30, 2008
    Rice Lake, WI
    Just picked one up today actually (with a wireless and rack), sounded really good. Now I just gotta find a cab to go with it, since I'm slowly building a rig.

7. 9 1/2 yrs for a thread!!! I wonder whats the record????

8. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    Just played one of these and it might just replace my Hartke LH500, really pleased with the OD channel actually, clean channel was tight and punchy and the octaver option was also pretty cool, sounded good with the OD channel, not so much with the clean channel

9. I'll bite, ... 9 1/2 years, EPIC ... my MIA SLM Ampeg B4r was my favorite SS head. Better than the Hartke LH1000 that gets so much love around here, and a lot more tonal options. I ran an Ampeg 8X10E with it and loved it, I got a Ampeg 2X15 but didn't feel like 375 watts per channel @ 4 Ohms into each cab was enough, if you could get down to 2 Ohms in mono-bridge mode on this thing it would have been a totally different story! But anyway, I upgraded to a MESA/Boogie BASS 400 (amazing all tube head) and got a G-K 1001 RBII to play my smaller shows with since it is lighter and more straightforward than the B4r was. I was/am more than happy with all 3 of the heads, I can use a Tech 21 bass pedal in front of either SS amp and still get great Ampeg tube emulated tone. The only thing I couldn't do with the B4r that I can with G-K is get the G-K signature growl. Now with the two remaining heads I can get the best of all possible worlds. But I would never say anything bad about the Ampeg B4r. Cheers.

10. Plstrns

Plstrns

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    10yrs, 4 months old! That's got to be a record.

11. 10 yrs 4 months,,,, Sorry I can only count to 4.

12. Morbassdav

Morbassdav

Jan 8, 2010
    About to pull the trigger on one of these...can't believe I'm posting to a 11 years plus (and counting!) thread...bass rules!

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Have they ever met an advertiser's product they didn't love and recommend? :rollno:

14. kmmcmill

kmmcmill

May 3, 2013
    Tulsa, Ok
    I own a b5r. its great! only problem i've had with it is the circuit breaker went out... (10$ fix) great tones. versatile amp. I run it through an Ampeg Pr410-H and its SOOO BIGGG. Highly reccomend. Octave is cool, but I dont really use it much. When I do, I turn it slightly on just to add a low end texture.

15. dukeandrews

dukeandrews

Jan 24, 2014
    came across this thread while searching. great zombie thread. to keep it going, i've got one on my radar at a local pawn shop.

16. The guitarist for one of my bands has one at our rehearsal space. I use it for rehearsal and it sounds great. The OD channel doesn't work, but the clean channel still gives the Ampeg grit when you want it. I'd like to try it with my cabs, but there's too many stairs! I think these can be had on the cheap and are a great value.

17. DoomMetalJones

DoomMetalJones

Aug 15, 2016
    16 years, and a couple moths old. damn