Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B5R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
  2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Yeah it does sorta look like the B2R... what is the point of this thread??? :D

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Just pointing out that the B5 seems to be the same as the B2, at greater expense.

The only thing that it seems to allow you to have is a 2 ohm load.

It's 5 lbs heavier, so I guess that is the heat sink.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, it also goes to 2ohms, the B2R only goes to 4.

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I am guessing that the amp is exactly the same circuitry, just with a larger heat sink. Many people don't like to run their gear at 2 ohms, even if the amp is rated for it, just because it does run hot. I suppose anotherway to look at it might be that you can run this one at 4 ohms, like the B2 and it should run cooler with the bigger heat sink.

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Hey Gabu,
    I played through one of these when I bought my B4r. You are right it is very similar to the B2r except that it goes to 2 ohms and it has some different tone controls I believe a distortion/ drive effect and maybe an octave/ subharmic effect too. I don't really remember but I'm sure the Ampeg page will give details. I remember it was very close in price to a SVT 3pro.

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    The b4r looks much nicer. :)