1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg BA-108, ok for keyboards?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barney69, Jun 4, 2014.

1. barney69

barney69

Jun 4, 2014
    Can anyone tell me if Ampeg BA-108 does a decent job with a keyboard running through it?

I'm trying to learn bass and keyboards and want to be able to play both through the same amp. I would just use it for home recording, I don't need a lot of volume.

Are there any better choices in a similar price range as this amp?

2. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    The Roland CM30 is your answer.
    I also play stagepiano and use that one for homepractice.
    Beau-ti-ful sound!
    The BA108 is really ment for bassguitar only, I guess

3. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    And OTOH a bassguitar sounds crappy through a Roland CM 30, come to think of it...
    Hmmm...buy them both :thumbsup:

4. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    I picked up a BA108 (the current one being phased out) about a month ago because of all the positive comments here and I wanted (didn't need of course) something small to toss around. As has been said, it has a very surprisingly good tone with bass guitar (within it's limits). For chuckles I tried it with my Yamaha P80 digital piano using the -15dB input which acts as a line input. Actually sounded pretty respectable with acoustic piano samples (a tweeter would have added just enough extra sparkle) and with electric piano samples, it sounded very nice. Might need to twiddle with the EQ to get the best sound. The fact that it has an 8 inch speaker instead of something larger I believe gives an advantage for high mid / treble response suitable for keyboard. If you want one amp that will do BG and keyboards for home recording / practice levels, this does pretty well, especially if you get the Musician's Friend talkbass discount (call them and ask for it).

5. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    Well the BA108 works with keys, but it ain't really hi-fi IMHO.
    If it's for practice, well, allright then.
    If I had to choose between the above mentioned Ampeg and Roland for solely this purpose, I'd pick the Ampeg.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Might be a little dark on the top end for piano and string sounds since it has no tweeter, but for electric piano and organ I bet it would rock.

7. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Will the roland handle ebg & eg? Or is it best for keys? Thanks

8. bnolsen

bnolsen

Jan 30, 2014
    denver area
    hicamp's response above: the roland is not a bass amp.
    ba108 sounds pretty poor when playing youtube videos or backing tracks. yes its fine for piano practice.

9. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    If you have a stereo hifi set amp, I think it'd be better for your keyboard.

10. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    I don't know what ebg & eg means.
    It handles my 88 key Roland RD600 stagepiano very well: hifi and warm, and more than good volume for homepractice.
    Two of those are perfect for stereo, if you use special stereo sounds.

11. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    Oh wait, electric bass guitar and electric guitar?
    In that case, it will handle it, but the bass guitar will sound like crap IMHO.
    Never tried an electric guitar, might work with an effect.

In conclusion: being that the Roland CM30 is twice the price of a Ampeg 108 and you're just getting started, perhaps the best deal for now is the Ampeg 108.
    Buy it, use it and go from there (maybe with headphones for your keyboard)
    Maybe after a couple of months, you could expand.
    >>> That's what I would do.
    And you can play an eg ;) over a BA108!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  12. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Thanks