1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg BA-110 V2 or Tech 21 SansAmp Character VT Bass DI: home recording/practice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by varsity, Apr 16, 2015.

1. varsity

varsity

Feb 16, 2014
    I'm not primarily a bass player, I play a Mustang and a P-bass. Bass is more for composition/recording at the moment...though I would like to jam with friends a bit more, so an amp would be handy for that; that said, the Sansamp would work in those situations anyway as there's nearly always some sort of loudspeaker around...

Anyway, I usually just play through my studio monitors/home stereo, DI into Amplitube; I'm not overwhelmed with Amplitube, and when it comes to the mix I usually end up ditching Amplitude and using either Nebula or a bunch of different plugs to get a tone I like...I'm hoping the Sansamp or the BA-110 might simplify things a bit; i.e. make it easier to just start jamming, and less mucking around with plugs when recording...

Also, about the BA-110, I was going to go for the v2, though it's a 100 euro more in Europe than the v1...is it worth the extra dough?

2. varsity

varsity

Feb 16, 2014
    Anyone?

3. kapaauguy

kapaauguy

Dec 12, 2010
    Kawela, Molokai
    I would say go for a used Sansamp pedal. Either the Para-driver, BDDI or VTDI. If one of those didn't fit the bill you could probably sell it for what you got it for or close. I had a BDDI for years and it was a great pedal for recording and live. Sold it for a new VTDI which i like better but i also have a rack-mount RPM which is basically a Para-driver and love the semi-parametric eq and sound of that as well.
    That said i also have a BA 108 which (next to my Zoom B3) is my favorite practice tool. IMHO hard to go wrong with either but i'd get the Sansamp :)

4. varsity

varsity

Feb 16, 2014
    Sweet! Great reply....maybe I should just get a v1 B108 and a VTDI...would you consider using the BA in a recording at all? Sometimes I just really need some real air!?! - Thanks!

5. kapaauguy

kapaauguy

Dec 12, 2010
    Kawela, Molokai
    I've never tried recording with my BA108 but im sure it would be useable in that regard. The Sansamp would be much more useful for recording and i never go to a gig without mine. You can always plug into the PA if your amp takes a dump and if you ever go play where there's a existing backline you can plug into the effects loop (if it has one) and bypass the preamp and get a sound you're used to.

My favorite features on the BA108 is the seperate volume for the aux input which makes it super easy to get a suitable mix between bass and whatever im listening to and the effects loop which is rare for a practice amp. Great little boxes. If you're going to jam with friends maybe the BA110 would be a better choice.

My favorite practice tool is the Zoom B3. All kinds of effects and amp models and a drum machine. You can also plug a USB cable in from your laptop and this powers the unit as well as lets you play along to whatever your computer is playing....all silently through headphones. Pick your fav amp, some relevant effects and jam along to Youtube or whatever floats your boat. Also has a XLR output which can be pre or post which i have recorded with as well. Got a pretty cool wah sound :)

My advice is to give in to the GAS and buy everything you want.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Another alternative you might like is the new SCR-DI. It's a BA V2 preamp with overdrive and headphone/music player inputs. I like the BA amps and have a BA112 v2 and BA108 v1, but it is nice to have that preamp in a little box with a DI out on it.

7. kapaauguy

kapaauguy

Dec 12, 2010
    Kawela, Molokai
    Uh oh.....something else i might have to buy.

8. kapaauguy

kapaauguy

Dec 12, 2010
    Kawela, Molokai
    Jimmy,
    Have you used the new DI live? FOH?

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have. Killer little box. Isn't replacing my $750 REDDI, of course, but I have used it as my DI on a fly gig or two and it works great.

10. kapaauguy

kapaauguy

Dec 12, 2010
    Kawela, Molokai
    I was wondering how it compared to the REDDI but i guess its kind of a apples and oranges thing. I wish i could justify the REDDI, I only play through my stage rig and very rarely on a speakers on sticks PA.
    This Ampeg box looks really cool though.

11. varsity

varsity

Feb 16, 2014
    SCR-DI looks great OK! Was just about to go for the VTDI actually...think I still might, it seems to be a bit of a sure shot...SCR looks interesting though, the ultra low might work well with my Mustang bass...hmmm...

I'll leave the BA for now anyway, until I have a few spare squid...