Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg BA-112 good enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wes Whitmore, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I went to the local music shop looking for a practice combo that I can carry through doorways and down the stairs to practices easily. I only play dropped D 4 string, but my drummer plays with baseball bats for sticks (he is loud). The guitarist is never an issue in volume, so I am lucky. Anyway, I wanted to audition the BA-115 amp, but all they had was the BA-112, so I played though that for around a half hour. It sounded exactly like I wanted in a small combo, but it didn't seem like it was going to get loud enough for our practices. It might, but it was a tough call. I had the volume and bass knob around 3/4 of the way up, and there didn't seem like much headroom left. I was playing through a Brian Moore 4 string that the shop owns. I didn't bring my Spector ESA4, but it has a pretty low output for an active. It's pretty old. Anyhow, is anyone using this amp successfully for practice in a rock band?
    From the opinions of the BA-115 (instead of the BA-112), it would be a darn good amp to buy for my needs, but it is 23 lbs more, and almost 4" bigger in most demensions, making it a little less portable. Of course, it is probably the only cab in it's price range that will cut it. I don't need to be loud, but blend in with this drummer. I have to get around 10 feet from the drum set just to get in a comfort zone that I can handle because of the volume. It might be a lost cause.
    I also tried the Harke Kickback 15, and I didn't like it at all. I think I like the artifical bass bump that the Ampeg has around the E string. I like it slightly boomy down there, and less directional. More room filling. The B-100R sounded almost as good as the BA-112, but it wasn't as full to my ears. It seemed like it would get much louder though. I included these for reference of what I am looking for, tonal wise.
    The shop will be getting a BA-115 in sooner or later anyhow, but I wanted to do some more research until then.
    Thanks guys,
    Wes

2. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    This isn't really an issue TB'ers or anyone else can help you with? Try renting it for a day and see how loud it can get in your practice area. If it isn't loud enough, pass on it. If you can't do that, insist on cranking it up full blast in the shop. You should get to know how loud an amp can go before you buy one, as looks can be decieving.

3. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks Mud,
    I like the tone, and the size is right, but based on what it was doing at 3/4 volume, I don't think it will cut it. I wouldn't mind running it all on 10s if it would though, so I will try one more time and bring it to practice.
    Thanks,
    Wes

4. I would recommend getting the BA114HP, BA210, or at least the BA115. The 112 is almost assured to not be loud enough...especially w/ a loud drummer. THe BA210 and BA115HP both have 220 watts of power, so they should do ya great, plus they'll sound like a real bass amp when the music kicks in!

5. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    The BA115 is about as big as I want to go before just keeping my Gk1001RB 2x10 combo starts looking like a more logical choice. I will audition the speakers today.
    Wes