Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg BA-112 or Yorkville XM100C

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nerf, Jun 10, 2004.

1. nerf

nerf

Jun 4, 2004
    Hey everyone.
    Another new member here, just registered although I've been reading here for awhile. Gotten alot of good info. Been playing (or I should say I've owned a) bass for about two years ('82 Aria pro II TSB 350 lefty) with an old Crate amp, that I need to upgrade from. Which leads to my first post. I'm looking at two combo amps, same price, the Ampeg BA-112 or the Yorkville XM100C.
    I like the 5 position style control on the Ampeg, esp. the 1 or 2 setting, I think the overall sound is a little better, but I use headphones alot (to keep from waking the kids), and the volume level is really low, even when cranked to the max. Switching to the other settings and boosting the highs helps a little. Also think overall the Ampeg is pretty quiet for a 50 watter.
    The Yorkville is plenty loud enough with or w/o headphones (louder than I need, really). Seemes like I get more unwanted finger noise with the Yorkville. The mid scoop control is nice, I like it at about 3 o'clock.

Can't decide between the two.

Usually play alone or with one other guitarist, don't need any more power.

Any opinions on these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. if you ever decide to get a drummer or something you will be underpowered, maybe shoot a little higher and go for the bm400 (yorkville). its better to have more power than you need than run out of power when you need it most.

3. nerf

nerf

Jun 4, 2004
    Seriously doubt there will be a drummer anytime soon, basically me alone for practice, and a guitar player at his place. That's it for the forseeable future. I can get by with 100 watts or less.

Also, both the Ampeg and the Yorkville are at the limit of what I can spend right now.

Read alot of reviews on the Ampeg, but can't find as many on the Yorkville, except about other models. Seems they are qiute durable, and good sound for a "slightly less famous" brand than some others.

4. zillo

zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    FWIW, I have the Yorkville 100C. Sounds great, light weight, good construction, lots of features.

5. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    check out a used yorkville xm200t
    2x10 combo (200 watts) and brand new its 625 canadian ... which is under 450 american for a new combo.

6. well, ok, lets not sidetrack the guy. he asked a specific question. an ampeg with a 12" with 50 watts, or a yorkville with a 15" and a 100 watts. I'll say this myself: clarity matters. finger noise can be taken care of with the use of the tone knob on the bass or probably even taking the scoop control on the yorkville down. As far as I'm concerned, a 15" speaker is going to put out a hell of a lot more than most 12" speakers cuz it gives an entirely heavier response. Also, seeing that your probably looking into the new amp situation, I'm assuming you want to join a band. the yorkville or something equal to that power would suit you fine in a band if your not looking for megawatts worth of power.

7. nerf

nerf

Jun 4, 2004
    First off, thank you guys for the help, I don't mind the other suggestions, and I had thought of going for more watts before, but it's just not in the budget now, plus for at least the next year or longer, I really wont need anymore power. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. But for right now....the Crate has gotta go.

That being said, I'm going with the Yorkville xm100c. Guy in the store played a little guitar along with me on an amp similar to the one the guitar player I play with has, and the Yorkville just had more punch.(I know...I know, the watts + 15" speaker)...and no headphone volume issues. Maybe if the choice was against the BA-115 (100w vs 100w) it may have been different, but I cant afford one of those now. Also played a SWR Workingman 10 just for comparison, the Yorkville sounded better than that one too. Store owner was really helpful, and the warranty is pretty good.

Thanks again!

8. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Congratulations thats a sweet amp!!! also, I had a wm10 and the xm100c sound better to my ears!!!