1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg BA 112: plugin the bass into RCA's possible or not?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rimbaud, Jan 16, 2012.

1. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

Nov 17, 2011
    France
    Hi guys,

I've been searching for threads talking about that but couldn't find any, so here's my question.

I play every tuesday at a blues jam-session. The guy that hosts this week event provides an Ampeg BA112 for all bassists.... 2 or 3 guitarists sometimes, youg drummers that plays louder and louder, anyway... you know what kind of issue can occur with this amp. It burnt once indeed (power stage)!! it's even pushed over week after week, and the host do not want to hear anything. That is the 1st problem.

2nd issue: you can easily imagine what kind of crappy sound you can get with that cheap amp pushed to 3/4, sometimes full volume !! and I despair cos' I really love the sound of my Fender Jazz, upgraded with new pu's and I added an EWS tri-Logic II preamp.

In fact, I just need a kind of Hi-Fi amp, PA I think should be the best for me and the club has got everything: complete Yamaha sound system with 2 returns. So I'm thinking about plugin' my bass into my preamp---> DI box ---> PA and finally in the BA 112 cos' it's settled just near the drummers, and some wants to hear the bassists.

But there's some issues: that would be a mix between a crappy BA sound and a nearly Hi-Fi sound coming from the returns. Other issue: you know guitarists... some don't want to hear bass in return when they sing....

So and that's finally my question: to avoid that crappy sound , is it possible to plug my gear directly into Ampeg's RCA input? will it work and will it cut that crappy EQ stage?

2. 5port

5port

Oct 14, 2009
    LI,new yawk
    From a BA110 owner with the same inputs:

The RCA inputs appear to bypass the preamp and EQ because when used the volume control does not work. Volume must be controlled by the source (IE, my mp3 player or your bass). The amp was not designed to be used this way but it should work. You will have to supply your own preamp and EQ. Keep in mind the designers did not expect you to play a bass thru this input so the signal bandpass may not support it properly. It does appear (to me) however that these inputs go directly to the power amplifier.

3. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

Nov 17, 2011
    France
    Ok for preamp EQ I'll go on with my EWS . I'll try to be there some minutes before it starts to test every combinations. If it does cut the ampeg's EQ, It's fine for me....