1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg BA-112 to external speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dmiddleton, Oct 10, 2013.

1. dmiddleton

dmiddleton

Oct 10, 2013
    Hi all.

I have an Ampeg BA-112 combo:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--AMPBA112

I like it, but would like to try hooking up an external cab to it. Has anyone tried this? If so, how did you go about it?

Thanks!

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Sorry, there's no external speaker jack for that amp. You would first have to find out what ohm rating the amp has, and then you would literally have to go inside the amp section and rig up some sort of wiring to get you to another cab. Bad idea and not worth it. You would be better off to save up for a stronger rig if you need more volume.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yep, you can link two BA112's together, but you can't hook up an extension cab. Great little combo, but it does what it does, and it would cost and weigh more if it did more.

4. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

As is most always the case Jimmy M is totally correct.

I owned one; it did what it did well. The gent I sold it to loved it.

5. fredgold52

fredgold52

Apr 14, 2009
    Your discussion (and others I've read) has been very helpful to me. I'm mostly a guitarist who is going to play part-time bass for a church group. Their volume is not excessive, a few singers, rhythm guitar and drummer (not loud). I've been searching for a small bass amp to use for this purpose. I bought an Eden EC50 with a 10 inch speaker, but it developed a problem so it went back. I wasn't real impressed with it.

I've known the Ampeg name for many years as a manufacturer of quality amps. Kids don't seem to play them much but adult professionals often do. (wonder how many I pissed off with that one?)

I'm not blessed with good music stores nearby, so much of what I do is based on research. The BA112 seems to get guarded praise everywhere I look. I say 'guarded' because everyone cautions that it is just 50 watts and can only do so much.

My BA112 is showing up at the house this Friday and I'm really looking forward to it. Since it has a direct out, I'll put it through the sound system. I figure the amp itself will provide good bass for us on the stage. I don't recall it having an effects loop, so anything I do that way will be done the old fashioned way with the main input. I guess I'll see how well that works too.

Anyway, the comments and discussions on this forum have helped me make this purchase with confidence.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Acoustic guitars and a controlled drummer in a church, your BA112 should suit you nicely. You could also use one of your guitar amps hooked up to a bass cab of your choice.

7. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    I like the BA series because they do the Ampeg thing very well.

I also am a big fan of using an appropriate size rig for the job.

A smaller amp pushed a little harder sounds so much better to me than a monster that can't be cranked past 1.

Enjoy your BA112, it's a great amp and it does what it does VERY well. :)

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Hey....somebody else who gets it. :D

9. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Ha! :bassist: :cool:

10. Just looked here: http://www.ampeg.com/manuals/BA-112b.pdf and saw it is advertised as 50 watts at 8 ohms so...

It is easy to mod a switched 1/4" jack into the back of the amp that would automatically disconnect the existing speaker allowing the amp to power an external cab. Stick to 8 ohms only (or higher), the amp was designed to run 8 ohms.

While the purists will howl at my suggestion to mod the amp is worth what $150 -200? Adding a speaker out jack will not depreciate the amps value significantly. If this was a vintage or valuable piece I wouldn't otherwise recommend it but 50 watts into a larger more efficient cab would be much louder. I also think this is an excellent way to conserve resources if you already have another bigger (8 ohm) cab then this is the way to make it louder cheaply. PM me if you need help with the wiring for the mod.

11. fredgold52

fredgold52

Apr 14, 2009
    I agree with you. If it's a collectors item, or costs as much as a decent car, don't mod it. But if it can be replaced for a couple hundred on Ebay, get out the tool kit. Modding is fun and sometimes creative (as opposed to destructive). Examples of stuff I have done mostly for fun: Put a Chinese Bigsby 5 on a Squier Telecaster, works very well. Also mounted two cheapie 'hot rails' knock offs on the same guitar. It truly rocks. I also put a 1/4 output jack on a tower speaker I use for performances. The jack is connected directly to the speaker lead and will let me run a 50 watt subwoofer off of it. The tower cost me $200 so I didn't feel I was risking very much.

:hyper: love this emotocon