Ampeg BA-112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 87octane_, Sep 9, 2002.

1. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    My current amp has a trade-in value of $300, of trading it in for something else and just paying the difference. I have about another $300 to pay the difference. So I went in today and saw the Ampeg BA-112. I plugged my bass in and I fell in love with the tone right away, but the amp I have now is 75 watts and the Ampeg is only 50. I was kinda looking for something in the 75-100 watt range in something that's still easy to transport. Isn't that kinda taking a step in the wrong direction? Or should I not worry about it and go for it? What would you suggest?
  2. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    How would an SWR Workingman's 10 or 12 combo compare to the Ampeg BA-112? I will be playing a 5 string, as soon as I finish building it, in case that sways your answers toward the WM's 10 inch speaker.
  3. jbasser206

Jul 31, 2002
    Western NY
    Why not go with the BA-115?? It 100 watts with the same tone qualitys as the BA-112. I have had one for over a year for Practice and small gigs an I love it !!!.:)
  4. if I calculate correctly, you have about $600 to go towards a new rig ($300 trade-in, $300 cash). Food for thought, I paid $500 for my Ampeg B2R head and 4x8 cab, barely used. My guess is that you could find a decent used head/cab for $500-700.

Combos are great practice amps, alone, or for low volume, but when you get into needing more than 150 watts of power, I think going head/cab is more economical, and just better! Sure, there are 300+ watt combos, but the weight and cost make them an illogical choice, IMHO.

If you decide you do want a 100-watt combo, I think the BA-115 is an excellent choice. Most love the Ampeg B100R (Rocket) combo, but I think the BA-115 has a broader range of tones, and has a tweeter. Other than that, I liked the SWR Workingman's 15 I played. But again, both those combos are getting heavy. (see paragraph above).

If I were in your shoes? I'd go with a used Peavey head and TVX 4x10 cab. I bet it wouldn't set you back much more than $600, depending on which head you get.
  5. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    For a while, I thought the head and cab thing over, but I fear that I have no use for one. I couldn't scrounge up members for a band around here if my life depended on it. So I just want a 100 watt or so practice amp for my room. I think I'd like the BA-115, but isn't it kinda bulky?
  6. where's Sumner? Really, no chance of organizing some sort of band?
  7. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    Sumner is in southern Illinois close to the Indiana border. I need a drummer for a band. I've checked everywhere except the endless corn fields, and I doubt I'll find one there. Everyone else I know plays through 100 and under amps anyway, so if I did get a band together, we could at least rehearse.
  8. Although I love my Peavey Combo 115(200W, 300 w/ extension cab), I have to agree, lugging 97lbs of amp up and down 2 flights of stairs is a killer. With the extension cab, I'm gonna need roadies. However, the thing is a block and doesnt move. It's ported, but sound somewhere between ported and unported when I put it on top of its flightcase.

If you can afford it, separate.
  9. My band made a concious decision not to use a drummer. We didn't want to deal with a drummer who couldn't keep time. So, we chose to use a computer program called Acid. You get drum loop libraries and make your own drums for each song. You then burn the drum tracks to a CD and play them through the PA. It works great. Its also an awesome tool to use as a bassist, since its good to have drums to practice with.
  10. I used to have a BA-112, and a great little amp it is. If you are in US, you will be able to pick one up very cheaply indeed!

The BA-112 is not, though, useable on stage if you are playing at any kind of volume. That's why I sold mine.
  11. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    Damn, that's not too bad of an idea with the Acid program.
    What about the BA-115? If we did used Acid as a drummer, could I use the Ampeg on stage at small clubs and what not?
  12. lastminute

Dec 25, 2007
    Hey---what kind of EQ presets does the 5 position switch on these things have?
  13. lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    I bought my BA-112 used for $100 - the only thing wrong with it is that the port bezel is melted a bit because the previous owner tilted it back against a baseboard heater. It's a wonderful little amp - but watch the quality on any Ampeg models made outside the USA, especially the Vietnam stuff. Mine is an older US unit.

You could always buy a 112 and acquire a power amp and cab (or large combo) to use as a slave in situations where you need more oomph. The BA has a line out that should do the trick. That would give you the tone of the BA's preamp. FWIW, I recently used a BA115 and found it to be a bit of a letdown as compared to the 112 - I have no idea why, but it's just a personal observation. Could be that I'm primarily a "small speaker" guy, but who knows?
  14. RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I love my little BA112, and wouldn't part with it. However, it's only good for acoustic jams, imo. It's also, NOT like a BA115. I've had both, and the 12 sounds better, to me. If you have plans on jamming with drums, neither will do. You'll want more wattage and speaker, (not a combo). But if you're only playing alone, or with acoustic guitars, the BA112 is a good choice, plenty loud and sweet tone.
  15. whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I worked in a music store for years, and I always tried to like the BA series, but they just sound too flat and stale to me. The diamond blue series has a much nicer, warm round tone IMO.
  16. RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I have no technical answer, only my ears, but I have owned a BA500, BA210sp, and a B100R. It's true that the "Diamond Blue" series are a cut above, but I can't help but raise the BA112 above the other BA series combo's in quality of tone. For whatever reason, it's a good little amp, but still limited by it's small size.
  17. thudfromafar

thudfromafar Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The BA115 will not cut it for most gigs, and it is quite bulky. So I doubt the 112 would do it. If you just want to practice though, the 112 would be a better choice.
  18. lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

That's a BA112 driving a Peavey DPC1000 amp and Avatar C15 speaker
    1050 watts. :D
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nah, I feel the same way. I think it's the BA115's lack of upper mids. It really seems to be missing something in the upper mids that the BA112 has. That's why I like the B100R better than the BA115, too. I'd personally take a B100R over a BA115 any day of the week.

BTW, anyone play the BA600 yet? I played one last week...sounds identical to the BA115 but has more power. Big deal ;)
  20. lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    I sometimes use a B100R with a B50R stacked on top and drive both with a Peavey tube bass preamp. Sounds pretty cool.