Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg BA-115 as preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkasaurus, Oct 16, 2002.

1. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I've been playing for about a year and a half now and I my only regret is that I didn't pick up the bass sooner. Anyway, my knowledge of technical details is really lacking so I have a really simple question for you...

Can I use my Ampeg BA-115 as a preamp?

I'd like to upgrade my rig piece by piece and I was wondering if this is an option. If I can, then I would get a power amp and cab now, and upgrade to a better preamp after I've saved a bit more.

Thanks.

2. jmanyea

jmanyea

Mar 20, 2002
    St. Louis
    You could run a line out (tuner out) of your ampeg into your poweramp which would be hooked to the cab. Your tone would come from the ampeg's preamp.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Typically a tuner out is a static signal, meaning it is at one volume and is not adjustable. You'd have to adjust your volume at the power amp with that configuration. There's no tuner out on the BA-115 IIRC.

The BA-115 has a "Line Out" connection, with a balanced, XLR style connector. The preamp's volume control does affect this output. The cable to connect to a power amp would depend on sending the XLR signal the type of input(s) on the power amp.

4. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Brad,

Let me see if I got this right.

I should be able to use the BA-115 as a preamp by running a cable from its line out to the XLR input of a power amp (assuming the power amp has one).

Just wanna make sure I understand. This will be my first non-combo setup. Thanks! :)

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Right. If the amp has an XLR in, you would use an XLR to XLR cable.

6. And there are converters for XLR to normal inputs.

7. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Cool. Thanks guys.

I think I'm gonna go with a QSC RMX 1450 for the amp. So now I just gotta figure out which cab(s) I want. There are so damn many cabs to choose from...yikes! Well off to the TB search page I go. :D

8. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    tallguy,

Hey I noticed you are in San Diego. I just moved here from Brooklyn. Can you recommend any good bass shops in the area. Thanks.