1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg BA 115 Old VS New (V1 vs V2)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sollie7, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Sollie7

Sollie7

Mar 13, 2011
    Woodstock, Ga
    Has anyone had a chance to AB these amps? I have the original ba 115, but im liking the looks of the new one. A little more power, built in overdrive, footswitch, etc. Thinking about selling mine and picking up a new one, sweet water has a sale on them right now too.

The real question though is how does the new one sound compared to the original ba 115 or the ba 115t?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think they sound about the same, although the style switch is gone from the new ones. Never liked it anyway, but if you like it, you may want to hang onto the old one.

3. Sollie7

Sollie7

Mar 13, 2011
    Woodstock, Ga
    Cool yeah I always leave the style switch on number 2. I guess I should just go try one out before ordering I want to try the new 210 as well. Its nice the v2s also don't require wiring in your own horn switch haha. I watched the youtube demo and the built in overdrive sounded pretty sweet at lower levels.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Style setting 2 is a 12db cut at 500 hz. Mid knob's set at a 500 hz center, too. I would think you would get close using it. But the default is setting 3, and that's what the new one sounds like to me, too.

5. bnolsen

bnolsen

Jan 30, 2014
    denver area
    The original ba115 had some hiss or something off the tweeter, I personally much preferred the ba112 from the 'v1' generation. Is this still an issue with the ba115 v2 ?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I wouldn't know. The second I plugged in, I turned the tweeter off ;)

7. Sollie7

Sollie7

Mar 13, 2011
    Woodstock, Ga
    Thanks and I still need to go try one out. Has anyone else tried both? Did they actually change the tweeter from V1 to V2?

8. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    Must suck to be you. I can't tell if tweeter is on or off on my cabs. So I just usually leave it off or on low.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well that came out of freaking nowhere. What does that even mean?

10. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    Means I can't hear very well I guess. I've wondered if my tweeters even worked at all.