Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg BA-115 problems...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chris3142, Dec 12, 2000.

1. Okay I have an Ampeg BA-115 and I know that the people here are very knowledgeable of the BA-115. I have liked it so far. its a good amp to have, but one little problem... it hisses. In bigger rooms like drummer's basement it doesnt seem to be so bad. but in my 8 foot by 10 foot room it seems like its hissing like crazy! I know that other people have mentioned the hissing, but i'm just wondering is there anyway to get rid of the hiss or soften it a little? and the equilizer it's just boost right? not cut/boost? I play a MIM P-bass and an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray. and its not either bass because it does it with both. I dont have my treble set high at all on the eq of the amp or the basses. Any help you can offer would be great. Oh, one more thing, can i plug a microphone into the ba-115. My band is in desperate need of a PA but we got no money so we need to do something. thanks for any help.

Chris

2. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Lowering the treble control helps some but if it bothers you that much you could just disconect the tweeter.Good luck!

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You can plug a mike into any guitar or bass amp; if it's a low impedance mike (like an SM58) get a $15 transfomrer at Radio Shack that converts the impedance and gives you the XLR to 1/4" conversion.

The Ampeg has only one channel, though, so you won't be able to balance the mike volume or EQ against the bass except by adjusting controls at the bass.

4. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    The only solution I've tried is getting used to the hissing. You probably won't hear it over other instruments anyway. I wish Ampeg would've designed the amp a little better (a tweeter defeat switch like the workingman 15 would be great). good luck.

5. One more question.. can i run an extension speaker from the ba-115. If i can which one would u guys recomend?? or should i sell my almost new BA115 and get a workingman's 15 and the 2x10 extension speakers?

6. No extension cab. If I could change one thing about it, that't probably be it.

7. Alright no extension cab.. well okay how do i run my bass through two amps? like a stereo chord or should i use my dod bass 30 which allows me to do that? cuz i found a great deal on another amp that would give me some good power combined with the ba-115.

chris