Ampeg BA-115 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dox, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    I have a few question. The first one really isn't about the amp but what are the differanc ein a passive or active bass? I use to know but I forgot and I want as muc hnformation as possible. My next question involves the setting on the Ampeg BA-115. They have fice style settings and I want to know what they mean. And what do they do for the sound.. like what is a dB and what do teh Hz do and all that good stuff. This is whatthe settings are.

1 = -25dB @500Hz
    2 = -12dB @500Hz
    3 = flat
    4 = +5db @2kHz and above
    5 = -6dB @50Hz and below
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Sinple: active means there is a battery powered circuit in the the bass.

dB is a logarithmic scale measuring relative volume.
    Hz is short for "Hertz" and is an indication of frequency (same as cycles per second).

Styles 1 and 2 cut out the low midrange, making the amp sound "deeper" because the really low bass is not obscured. Also useful for slap playing.

Style 3 is the normal setting, no special cuts or boosts.

Style 4 gives an overall treble boost.

Style 5 cuts out the really low bass, good in rooms where the sound is muddy.
  3. Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    Thanks. Can you explain to me how you know that. Like how od you read the Hz and the effects it creates on teh sound and dB and teh effects it greats in the sound. How to measure them and read them an dhow they apply in the sound of an amp.