1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg BA-115 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mello_bedwetter, Aug 24, 2007.

1. I have a question about the Ampeg BA-115. Can you use another speaker cabinet with this amp? I was thinking about getting a 2x10 cab. The reason I ask this is because some combos, such as a Crate, shut down the amp's speaker if an external speaker is added. If a cab can be used with it, is the 100 watt enough to push the 15" plus a 2x10? Thanks.

2. im pretty sure you can, but its not really gonna be any louder. its still gonna be a 100w amp. it might be a tad bit louder because more speakers will mean its pushing more air, and you will get a slightly different sound, because of the 2x10, but i dont really think its worth it, especially if you are looking to buy a 2x10 for this purpose.

3. I was looking at the Gallien-Krueger 210BLX-II, or the Behringer Ultrabass BA210, or BB210. Each run around $200. I'm curious as to what the sound difference would be.

4. Ben Rolston

Ben Rolston Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Ann Arbor, MI, USA
    Actually adding speaker area adds volume much more quickly than adding wattage. I don't know the exact specifics but it's something like adding 100 watts only raises the volume by a couple dbs.

Anyway, I have a BA115 (I don't use much anymore though), and I don't see anywhere that one could hookup a second speak cab-without opening it up.

5. Thanks, I haven't seen anything in the manual as far as adding external cabs, but then again the manuals don't explain much. I just looked and didn't see a place for a hook-up either. The Crate I had actually had an input/output for an external cab. The drawback was if you hooked up another cab, it shut down the amp's speaker.

6. mine has a line out, i didnt know if that was just for going to a pa, or if it could be used to add another cab.

7. I do see a Line Out.

8. +1 to the badass combo of Ibanez and Ampeg, by the way.

9. Thanks, I do like Ibanez and Ampeg.

10. me too

11. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.

Your combos amp section is rated for a minimum 4 0hm load and already has a 4 ohm speaker, so you cant run its internal speaker together with any others, but you could install male/female speaker connections like these, that would disconnect the internal speaker when you wanted to use another cab.

I didn't want to drill any holes, so I made a mounting bracket instead.
    I added a two foot extension to the cable w/male plug, and its connected
    to the speaker... I can also use this combo as a cab, with another amp.

DSCN0899. [/QUOTE]

PS:
    Your line out jack is a preamp signal (not speaker), and its for driving another poweramp, or to connect to a mixer for sound reinforcement or direct recording.