Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Ba-115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phunkjam, Jan 9, 2001.

1. Hey guys,
    I've been playing bass for awhile now on my Peavy 20 watt amp. I'm looking for a good combo around $500, and the Ampeg Ba-115 caught my attention. I play funk (lots of slap), jazz, and a little rock from time to time. Do you know if this amp is suitable for these styles? I'm open to all new suggestions. Thanks a lot.

Nate

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    The BA-115 might not be top choice if you slap a lot. It's more of a rocker's amp than anything else.
    In your case, I'd go with SWR Workingman.

3. Thanks for the Input. Is the SWR line known for more of a funk/jazz sound or rock? I'll definately look into it though.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I don't know... I slapped through a BA-115 and it sounded pretty nice.

BTW it has a tweeter.

[Edited by Brad Johnson on 01-10-2001 at 12:02 AM]

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I have also done some slapping on a BA-115. I thought it did a pretty nice job for a 1x15 combo. IMO, the BA-115 is a really nice amp, and I like it better than the SWR Workingman combos.

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Yeah, OK, maybe it doesn't sound too bad (to be honest I haven't slapped on neither the BA-115 nor the Workingmen, but on SVT head + 15" and SWR Redhead). It depends on what kind of slap tone you want, more "old-school" or more modern. SWR amps in general has a more modern and transparent sound to them, whereas Ampeg has a warmer, fuller sound. Try them both, I believe they both are great combos. Haven't heard a bad word on them from anybody.

However, I would prefer the SWR over the Ampeg if you're a fusion-esque slaphappy man. IMO it sounds better.

But it's your choice. :)

7. BernardJohnson

BernardJohnson

Jan 9, 2001
    Hello...Bass players...Phunkjam....I played thru the Ba-115
    it is a great amp for most any style of music you want...I
    purchased the Ba-112...it is smaller with 50-watts, but it
    is loud enough for my church venue...I play in the music
    ministry with a keyboardist and drummer and I have no problem being heard, but that's my personal choice.
    Ampeg is a good amp....enjoy it!

BJ

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The WM series has practically nothing in common with the Redhead sonically, except maybe an overabundance of highs. They give you high-hz extension but also a lot of noise to go along with it. The Ampeg Ba-115 and (my personal choice) B-100R don't sound like SVT's, more along the lines of an evolution of the original B-15 type of sound (for anyone who hasn't tried an original B-15, in good sonic shape of course, you should;)). The BA-115 has a higher high frequency extension than the B-100R BUT... the B-100R is not lacking in high end. I can easily get a Marcus Miller sound out of my B-100R using an Ash Jazz bass and there's no tweeter.

The WM series has the horn on/off switch... no way to blend it in gradually and IMO it sounds like a two speaker system instead of a full range combo. Of the SWR combos, I think the Basic Black is much better than the WM series, but you have to pay for that difference.

There's also a big difference in the sound of the Ampeg 15" combos (BA-115, B-100R) and the smaller Ampegs (BA-112, B-50R), especially if you play a bass with a low B. The low end on the 15" combos is very surprising if you crank them up. Very surprising.

Do not rely merely on specs (which, in addition to "same brand" equipment or anecdotal info is all you can rely on if you haven't checked something out for yourself;)). You can always thin out the sound of the Ampegs to resemble the SWR's but you can't fatten up and smooth out the SWR's to mimic the Ampegs. I've played a bunch of all of the amps mentioned in this thread.