1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg BA-210 Quits when hot?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Almataha, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Almataha

Almataha

Nov 26, 2017
    I bought a brand new Ampeg BA-210 last year to replace the old BA-115 that quit on me. I removed the head from the BA-115 and converted it into an auxiliary cab for the BA-210. It wasn't used until my daughter began playing on it in our band last March. It worked just fine for a few months up until our last practice and our last gig, when it just randomly decided to stop sending signal. On both occasions it was getting power and was set at about 5 on the volume knob. Once it was cooled off (although it didn't seem unusually hot) and sitting for a while it started working again and I have tried several different cables and two different basses to try and trouble shoot it, but I still have no idea why it quit on us in the middle of a song. I'm assuming it has something to do with it getting too hot, but I just don't know for sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    What is the impedance of the external 112 cabinet. What is the allowable impedance of the combo. Could be that the 112 is 4Ω and the combo needs an 8Ω extension. Instead of running the amp at 4Ω you are running at an illegal 2.67Ω.

Almataha likes this.
  3. Almataha

Almataha

Nov 26, 2017
    Sorry, I meant BA-115 as the aux cab. Yeah, I think your right. The 115 speaker is 4Ω and the 210 aux output is 8Ω. I can't believe I missed that. Could be the problem right there.

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I’m sure it is. You’re very lucky that the amp didn’t fail. :)