1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg BA-210 smell from speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassPlayer99, May 14, 2019.

1. Hi guys...

I was gigging the other night, tuned my bass, and proceeded to do a sound check. As soon as I plucked my strings, a high tone came out of my Ampeg. I immediately turned it down and was like what the hell. Then I tried it again after turning it down and it seemed fine. After the gig was over, I smelled something like burned wires coming from the speakers. I was like oh crap. So I look down at my pedal board (BOSS ME-50B) and I had forgotten to press the damn volume pedal on. I was not in tuning mode, and was ready to go, I just hadn't pressed the volume pedal. I had the amp at about 5.5 on volume and then turned it up to like 6.5 during the gig because I couldn't hear it well (Gee, I wonder why lol). So my question is, did I fry this amp simply because I didn't have my pedal on? Or did I possibly get a power surge and it's just coincedence? This is a brand new amp and I've gigged with it once before with no problem. I'm pretty bummed. Moreso that I went the entire set with a crappy sound lol.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Could be smell from the Amp. Or speaker.

Sometimes it's new electronic smell. Things get hot and will have that new board smell.

Otherwise it's still million guesses. Either it got hot and still burning off the new smell. Or it's any various board if there is one inside the cabinet. Like a crossover board. If it has padding switch to turn down the tweeter and using a low setting. Things get hot like the tweeter pad or resistors.

Not to many failure reports from the new class D combos from Ampeg. But I wouldn't touch anything Class D from Ampeg or anything old thats Rack Mounted and Mosfet from Ampeg.

Volume pedal is non issue. Wouldn't worry about that. Could possibly just be first time things really got hot in the amp. New amp smell.

BassPlayer99 likes this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2020