Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg BA-210SP vs, GK 400RB/210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Denser, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Denser

Denser

Aug 22, 2003
    Miami, Fl
    Hello,

I'm planning to buy a decent combo amp to jam with a drummer, but I'm stuck between two choices. The Ampeg 2x10 I believe @200Watts or the GK 2x10 which I think is @ 150Watts. The worst thing is that none of the stores around here stock either one so I can't audition them myself. So anyway, I'm hoping someone out there's played both and can tell me about their experience with them. Regardless of wether you've actually used them I would like to hear your opinions. Thanks.
    Denser

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The new GK400RBIV is 180w @8 ohms and 280w @ 4ohms for the same price as the older version!

3. Denser

Denser

Aug 22, 2003
    Miami, Fl
    I believe those are specs for the head. In this case it's a combo and if I understood correctly, it only gives the internal speaker 150 Watts. Thanks though, all info is appreciated.
    Denser

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I just sold (traded in) a GK400RBIII combo and the combo is the same as the head. The lower figure will go into the cab of the combo. I traded mine in for a 1001RB 2x10 to go with my 1x15RBH cab.

5. Denser

Denser

Aug 22, 2003
    Miami, Fl
    RBIII? Is that also 2x10?
    And thanks for shedding some light.
    Denser

6. Denser

Denser

Aug 22, 2003
    Miami, Fl
    okay... so I guess your opinion would be a positive one? If you went for basically the same combo with a wattage upgrade then you're content with the preformance correct?

7. I have never played the ampeg combo so cannot comment there, but I can tell you anything you want to know about the GK combo.

As stated before, the 400RB-IV is 280W @ 4 ohms and 180W @ 8 ohms at 1% THD (Total Harmonic Distortion). The Ampeg is rated at 220W @ 4 ohms at 5% THD (audible distortion). The ampeg at 1% THD would be somewhere around 150W @ 4ohms. Based on those specs, the GK amp will be audibly louder with much more headroom.

The internal speakers on the ampeg are operating at a 4 ohm load already so you would not be able to use an external cabinet with it safely. With the GK amp, you can add an external cabinet giving you the ability to go from a small venue to larger venues without having to own two seperate rigs.

Tone is the subjective thing that you will need to decide for yourself. I happen to like the GK tone better because it has a full clean sounding low end with the mid punch you need to cut through. I also think that it's much more flexible than other amps that I've tried.

8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I've played through both and I really felt the BA210sp blew the GK400-210 away. The GK was good, but the Ampeg had much more of deeper and more crisp sound over the GK. (I really like and have that Dave LaRue type sound)

9. Denser

Denser

Aug 22, 2003
    Miami, Fl
    Just to confirm I understand what you mean. I CAN hook up an external cab to the GK and if it is 8 Ohms I will get 180 watts to it? So in that configuration the internal speaker of the combo is bypassed? In other words, it's either the internal 2x10 OR the external cab? Is there a way to run both, or is that not even practical? Thanks for all your info!

10. No. If you connect an external speaker, you are running both the internal and external speakers and would be operating at a 4 ohm load (280W). If you wanted to disable the internal speaker, you would have to disconnect it. Not difficult, but there's no real purpose in that either.

11. Denser

Denser

Aug 22, 2003
    Miami, Fl
    ahh yes.... it all makes sense now. Thanks Daniel. I think I've made up my mind. It seems the GK is the clear choice. It would still be cool to get everyone's opinions.

12. Zharlon

Zharlon From Ice Station Zebra....to Deep Charch 9

Apr 19, 2003
    Northwest U.S.A.
    I picked up a GK 400rb 2x10 off of Ebay for about 400$(before shipping)...Up to that point I owned only one amp, a Mesa 400+ with Eden 4x10, and I had been dragging the whole massive setup to very regular small jazz combo gigs(using a fretless ELECTRIC)...The GK combo completely met and I have to say surpassed my expectations....Being used to my previous amps fine(tube) sound, the combo had FANTASTIC tone and versatility. Indeed for my planned uses(the small group has guitar, drums, sax, and a vocalist with sax and vocals going over a small P.A.) I feel that I couldn't have found a better combination of tone/volume/portability....I am not sure if all the models come with the lil' casters on the side to make rolling it into places easy, but with that and the kickback shape (like a monitor wedge) I think I have never been more satisfied with a single purchase...( as some said earlier the only improvement would be to have more power output, thereby reducing even more the amount of times I have to drag out the big rig)..then again I have seen these 400rb's available frequently used and at that price point ya absolutley can NOT go wrong.

13. Denser

Denser

Aug 22, 2003
    Miami, Fl
    Has anyone felt they were missing bottom end since it's 2x10? The manual says something about a 5-string switch which is supposed to really boost the lowest lows. Coming from a background in car audio.... 10" woofers aren't exactly known for rumble.

14. This is why I use the 410 cab with a 115 biamped. No lack of any desired frequencies with this setup!

;) Treena

15. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Imho 2x10's are good for small venue's. A small club, bar etc. When playing bigger venue's it should be used with something else. My first rig was a 1x15 combo for small venue's. I was ok til the gigs got bigger. I went ahead and got the 1x15 bottom to go with it. I then traded up for more power with a new 2x10 combo (GK1001 RB) to go with my 1x15RBH cab. Now my rig is complete. 2x10 combo for small stuff, the whole rig for bigger stuff.

16. A 410 cabinet has as much bottom as much bottom as a 115 but yes, a 210 is not going to handle a 5 string as well.

17. Denser

Denser

Aug 22, 2003
    Miami, Fl
    This is probably a stupid question but is the head easily removable? I mean it seems like they really just put the head and cab in one enclosure. So I'm wondering if you can seperate them easily. By the way, thanks everyone. This thread is helping bigtime.

18. Denser

Denser

Aug 22, 2003
    Miami, Fl
    As a last minute thought.... has anyone played a hartke VX3500 4x10? It's in the same price range. Then again... maybe I'm getting carried away. That thing's probably huge. I'd like to know what you guys think?

19. No the head should not come out of the combo.