Ampeg BA vs Peavey Max

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RBPCRC, May 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RBPCRC

RBPCRC

Mar 8, 2015
    What sounds better? What's a better deal? I've been looking at the 12" and 15" combos.

2. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I recently bought an Ampeg BA108v2 and was amazed at the sounds the little guy puts out. Nothing gives you that thick blanket of tone like Ampeg. I owned the MiniMax which is the big brother to the Peavey Max combos, and I was not impressed. Very generic bland tone and the fan sounded like a small jet taking off!

I would recommend either the BA112v2 or BA115v2. I'd get either one but I need a DI out and have a couple speakers, so I'm getting the Ampeg PF-350 head.

3. I use the BA108V1 and like it very much. Enough punch to play with a 4 piece, including a reasonable drummer.

4. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    I have not played the Peavey, but used to own a fair amount of Peavey stuff in the early 80s. I do have an few years old Ampeg BA10 40w and it sounds really good for what it is. I like/have tube heads that I normally play through, but would not hesitate to use the Ampeg combo for a small gig. It's surprisingly loud and sounds big for it's size. I had a newer Fender combo for year and sold it and kept the Ampeg though it had fewer features. It just sounded better to me.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021