Ampeg BA108 Quality Rant

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Timmah, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Timmah

Timmah Supporting Member

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    A couple months ago I picked up an Ampeg BA108 for a practice combo- I figured that the familiar Ampeg voicing would be great to have in a little kick-back package for small rehearsals, writing sessions etc in living rooms and stuff. And the amp is great for that when it works. Unfortunately, these little amps spend a lot of time not working as they should. The amp initially had some baffle buzz (I guess?) right out of the box, but I chose to ignore it since it didn't do it all the time and figured it must be the room or whatever.
    Then I started having issues with the amp gaining and losing volume without me touching any controls- figured it must be the jack or something, but rather than dig around the inside of the amp and void the warranty I went back to Amazon and asked them to ship out a replacement I could exchange it for. That replacement amp was DOA so I boxed it back up, told them what the issue was, and was again left with the slightly malfunctioning amp I started with.
    Since then, the issues have worsened seemingly every time I turn it on, to the point where the volume control has no effect at times, and that baffle buzz is back with a vengeance. I probably should have been more persistent about returns with Amazon, but I guess I'll be emailing Ampeg soon to see what they can do.
    There's not much of a point to this thread, just needed to vent a little bit because I'll be bringing a head and 210 cab to a second-story rehearsal tomorrow instead of that convenient little 20-pound combo.

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Why don't you give Ampeg's customer service a call and see what they can do? It's too bad you waited so long and didn't address it with them earlier though, probably would have made this easier for you.

plav1959 likes this.
  3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The cabinet buzzing is a known issue that they took care of some time ago. There is a fix that they have.

I hope that they give you a new amp.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021