1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg BA108 vs BA110

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ics1974, Aug 5, 2012.

1. ics1974

ics1974

Apr 13, 2012
    I want one of the two but Does the 8 inch speaker sound less bassy? How much louder is the 110? I only need it for bedroom levels

2. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    When I played both at the store, I thought the BA108 sounded better. Bass response was excellent with a pretty wide tonal range overall.

- Other pros (for me): more portable - fits in the car's back seat floor perfectly.

- lighter wt.

- headphone and mp3 jacks for silent practice (works out great in hotel rooms, etc)

If you push it too hard it tends to fart out but I still think it has better bang for the buck than the BA110 0r BA112.

3. I bought the BA108 just for home use. I don't believe I've ever used it without headphones so I can't speak to the watt power. I'd suggest if you plan on using to do some quiet jams to go with the BA110 or the BA112/115 preferred.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I think the BA-108 sounds pretty good. If one band goes unplugged with electronic drums for rehearsals at the leaders apartment, I may buy one for that purpose.

For me, the BA-110 is too close in weight to my MarkBass combo to bother with.

5. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

Sep 23, 2011
    San Diego, Ca
    You can't go wrong with the BA-108. It is surprisingly close to the BA-110 in sound. You get a lot for your $99. It looks good and sounds good.

There was some mention a quality issue with some units. An internal rattle that was an easy fix by gluing down some baffling foam. I didn't have any problems with my unit...it doesn't have foam, it has batting, like the stuffing in your grandmother's quilt.

In addition, the Ampeg BA-108 is a bargain because it puts out more than the rated 25 Watts. It is de-rated probably for two reasons:
    - a. because the BA-108 speaker is not as good as the BA-110 speaker.
    - b. Marketing...to create a separation between the BA-108 and BA-110.