1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg BA108v2 Purchased, Seeking Advice If Eminence Upgrade Is Worthwhile

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MonsterRain, Dec 28, 2017.

1. MonsterRain

MonsterRain

May 26, 2017
    Been A/Bing combos for 2 hours today after doing exhaustive research here and anywhere as my new need was a small and portable combo amp that had amazing tone.

Ok, amazing tone to me or let’s just say something I really like.

I went from Rumble 40 to BG250 (way overkill but I still don’t care for these like I thought) to BA112 and BA115. Store was out of BA110 and floor model would not power up at all.

Ventured into MarkBass territory and played the MarkBass MicroMark 801 a 45 watt/8” combo.

I enjoyed the sound of the MB but didn’t like the limitations in that the tone is the tone and you don’t have any control. That and I can’t see dropping $500 on a tiny bedroom amp at all.

So I ended up with the BA108v2 which was a combo I overlooked long ago figuring it was junky and cheap and whatever else you can use to defame it.

Yet it blew me away. For its price point it’s considerably better than it has a right to be and while I wish it were as light as the Rumble 40, I cant see the Rumble 40 being twice as good given what I shall be using it for since the Rumble is twice the price.

With that said, of the Rumble series the 40 is the best bang for the buck and the only one I really liked after so much comparing.

Anyhow, I’m a proud owner of this little guy to go with my SCR-DI and my soon to come Portaflex PF-800 with two 115 cabs. I’ll be as Ampegged out as one can be who is not Jimmy.

So I’ve got some money to burn in the form of a gift card and was thinking of immediately swapping the speaker out for the Eminence Alpha 8a in my BA108v2 combo.

My logic is that this should guarantee I’ll never blow the speaker (I honestly should never blow the factory one as I baby my stuff but just having a more capable one never hurts) as well as improving upon the sound even a little bit while also increasing the volume slightly due to sensitivity of the speaker.

What say you?

Of those of you who have swapped the speakers if the cost was zero would you jump at doing so or would you suggest it really doesn’t impact sound quality that much to bother with it?

I don’t expect to turn a budget level bedroom amp into something boutique but figure a much better speaker should in fact make this an even better combo than it is already along and some improved sound and clean volume room so far as turning it up if ever at all.

Thank you for your time. I have researched all the available Eminence BA108v2 threads here but figure it would be ok to post this and seek specific takes from those who have done so to see if they’d do the same again and what the consensus is so far as whether or not such an upgrade would in fact BE an upgrade.

Oh and if there is an Ampeg club?

I wants in.

2. MonsterRain

MonsterRain

May 26, 2017
    Not that anyone so far was interested but rather than post in a thread and be told it’s not relevant or create a new thread I bump mine since it is relevant here.

Eminence can custom make me a 4 ohm 8” replacement speaker for the Ampeg BA108v2.

So that’s what I’m doing and if anyone else who has a V2 decides they want a better speaker they can do just that rather than losing much of the power by putting in the 8 ohm Alpha 8a.

Yes, to most of you, you wouldn’t put that much money into a $100 combo.

That cost is not my concern since my goal is simply to have the small Ampeg practice amp but have it sound as great as possible which will be better than stock.

Anyhow, for those who wouldn’t spend this to upgrade?

Don’t. Good for you.

For someone else who may search this forum seeking replacement for the Ampeg BA108v2, I post this which will save you having to bother and ask people who will tell you they wouldn’t do it rather than if it could be done.

3. Forgive me but I really don’t see the point in buying a small practice amplifier only to switch out the speaker. It makes no sense to my agin’ old head bones. :)

Why not just buy a better practice amp in the first place?

4. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I think it's a total waste of $$$!
    It's a great little practice amp as is, but let's not lose perspective here. It is what it is. 20watts and an 8" spkr. If you want more output buy a bigger unit. Otherwise, appreciate the BA108v2 for what it is; an ideal small, inexpensive practice amp with great tone.

5. Tommyc

Tommyc

Nov 11, 2015
    Midwest
    Ampeg BA-108 Coffeeshop Micro Rig

A fellow here in 2012 did some modding of a Ba108 V1. Read about it in the above link. Personally, I think there is nothing wrong with the stock speaker. I have the 40 watt Ba110 v2 and I love it as is.

SJan3 likes this.
  6. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Personally, I like the sound of my BA-108 v2 so much I’m seriously thinking of buying another as a backup. I mean, it’s a hundred bucks.

SJan3 likes this.
  7. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    BOY_0144.JPG

I replace the Marshall MB15 stock driver with Eminence Alpha 8A on 2007.
    Tone become punchier and i can run this small combo with full volume without distort and rattle problem.
    Just because not enough headroom with it 15 watts output, i dint hear any volume increase after 2 o'clock till full.

I also try with Mohawk 350w Sub woofer on MB15, supricingly big tone with ZERO Treble.

hopehelp

8. An Auto subwoofer really has no place in a bass amplifier. I stick with what I advised earlier and that is just to buy a better practice amp.

9. Some small combo amplifier sections have the same output circuits as that manufacturer's separate heads but without the expense of a cooling fan to keep costs down. This means that the speaker is already the maximum load for the amplifier and increasing the load to 4 ohms from 8 ohms could cause it to overheat. If your combo allows connection of an additional 8 ohm cab then you will be okay, but if it's designed only to work with the internal 8 ohm speaker you could have a problem.