1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg BA112 combo - I like it.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jimfriar, Oct 3, 2009.

1. due to various circumstances- I haven't had a bass rig at home for awhile. yesterday I decided to rectify this-so I went to my local store - tried various heads/cabs - brought a Peavey Tour 700 home to check out - but really didn't want to commit that kind of money to a 2nd rig for home. my buddy that works at the store in repairs said to check out the little Ampeg 112 combo. Its only 50 watts - and yes its made in China. But to my ears- it sounds great. much better than the Traynor 50 watter I tried - and at low volumes - better than some of the heads I tried. brought it home - and I'm now a happy camper. Hmmm maybe I should check out those 300 watt combos Ampeg has........ Doh- gas !

2. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    I just bought an older USA BA112. Looking forward to hearing it. I tested one of the new Chinese ones and I have to agree that they sound pretty nice!

3. I tried 3 of them using my precision bass and jazz bass and all 3 of the amps were terrible. The speakers rattled and it had a muffled sound. The face(cloth) of the amp would fall off too. Terrible quality. Reading your posts it sounds like Ampeg must have fixed the issues. It's been probably 4 months or so when I tried them. I'll have to get by the store and check them out again. The owner called and told me they had gotten some new ones in. I'd like to have an amp that size for practice here at home and for when I play with acoustics.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I have an older SLM era BA112, and I like it more than most other Ampeg ss combo's. It's a great little amp, with great tone. To my ears, it sounds much better than the BA115's, or BA300's. Only ones that actually sound as good or better are the Rocket Bass combo's, (B100R).

5. subopposite

subopposite

Jul 23, 2008
    Vermont
    I have an Ampeg ba115 and it has convinced me to never buy Ampeg again, when a Line 6 12" with 50 more watts kicks the snot out of it in volume. I am sending mine in to be checked out however, as it either has to have something wrong with it, or the ba115 is a piece of junk.

Hopefully, it has a defect and I can show approval for Ampeg.

6. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I have a BA112. Great little practice amp. Very Ampeg-gy sounding. At 50watts, though, I have found that it is ONLY a practice amp, and can't really handle even the smallest of gigs.

Very heavy for such a little thing. Sounds killer, if you like Ampeg tone.

7. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    My opinion exactly! No use for this amp aside from practicing alone at home. Nice tones in that setting, but nowhere near enough performance for using even in rehearsals where my drummer wasn't playing terribly heavy.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I've actually used mine for low level jamming, drums and all. I'm not saying it's a gig worthy amp, but it does hold it's own pretty well for a 50 watt 1x12.