1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg BA112 Question...ok for 5 string?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sleepy_monkey, Nov 13, 2010.

1. I probably already know the answer to this question...but I haven't used a combo amp in a LONG time. I sold all of my gear earlier this year and I found an Ampeg BA112 for $125 in perfect condition from a guy I kind of know but not really.

I would just be using this to jam around the house...5 string Modulus. You think this thing can handle that?

I am guessing that the low B will kill the sound coming from such a small combo. Any experience?

2. Just listen closely to the speaker and don't hit the 5th string like an animal. Jamming around the house should be just fine. Playing in a band with the BA112 is asking for trouble.

3. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    I would think it would be fine at lower volumes. I wouldn't think you would keep up with a loud drummer. But for practice or lower volume jams it should be fine.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It's fine, and will sound great at the volumes it's capable of.

5. ndabunka

ndabunka

Oct 8, 2010
    Does slapping and popping equate to "hitting the 5th string like an animal"? If so, am I in trouble using this bass for practice at home? No need for any large volume at all and not playing with any bands. Just individual practice and maybe a youtube cover or two. Any issues with slapping using this amp at "reasonable" volumes?

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The low end roll off is relatively high on the BA112. You shouldn't have any problems especially for what you are using it for. I play my 5 through my BA112 all the time, and it sounds terrific. A really great sounding little combo.

7. blmeier7

blmeier7 Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    The BA112 is one of the better combos for its price IMO. It handles a low B fairly well, I keep mine EQ'ed fairly flat. For practicing around the house or with other guitars it does good. If you want to play this amp with a drummer then the BA112 quickly gets out of its intended purpose. Although you could get by if the drummer plays quietly.

8. ndabunka

ndabunka

Oct 8, 2010
    I appreciate the guidance. Order has been placed.