Ampeg BA112 vs. BA115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Abemas, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Abemas

Dec 15, 2005
    Looking at getting an amp for home use and I really liked the sounds of the Ampegs I heard at GC tonight. I'm trying to decide between the BA112 and the BA115. Muscians Friend has these two amps with the BA115 being only 60 bucks more than the BA112 and it gives you a bigger speaker, and 100 watts vs. only 50. Is it worth the extra cash or would I be overdoing it?

2. lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    I have a BA-115 it was the first amp i ever bought and i still have it and use it today. You can litterly gig with it cuz i know i did for a time. Now i use it for my octive pedal to make sure the low notes come out really swell. However i would not recomend this amp if you are gonna play like drivy punk lines cuz the amp doesnt have a whole lot of punch to it. If you can afford it the BA-210 and BA500 are awsome amps
  3. Abemas

Dec 15, 2005

I'm not really looking to spend that much money...I am just trying to figure out if it is worth paying the extra 60 bucks for the 115. Any help would be appreciated.
  4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The 115 is a sweet amp, just be prepared to disconnect the hissy tweeter.
  5. Abemas

Dec 15, 2005

These have a hissy tweeter in general?
  6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yup. Some of the hissiest, even in the store.
  7. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    I blew the speaker in my Ba-115 two different times after small gigs while using it with a SansAmp BDDI. Now it just sits in the corner collecting dust...Not really relevant info for you, but be careful and not play it too loud :rolleyes:
  8. Abemas

Dec 15, 2005
    Wow...I was under the impression Ampegs were the cream of the crop. What do you guys recommend instead?
  9. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    I think for home use that it should be fine...I probably was pushing beyond what it was intended for, that BDDI is so powerful. Plus, now that I think about it, I kept turning up as the night went on and the drinks added up. And I should've put the amp in a chair off the ground.
  10. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've got a BA115SP.... its basically a BA115, w/ built-in effects module, voiced w/ 15 of the more common effects you'd ever want.... Chorus, Flange, Phase, even an SVT emulator.

I dont find my BA115 to be hissy, but, I do EQ out, a touch of treble, & I run in SVT mode almost continuously. I EQ out treble, to help cut out some of my finger transfer, and the SVT emulator sounds pretty decent at high volumes.

Given that, its BARELY loud enough for practice in the garage. Unless there's PA support, you cant gig with it. It does have a balance line out, for running straight into the board. That said, unless you're just planning on using it for a practice bedroom amp, do NOT skimp.... the 112 simply wont be loud enough.
  11. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I think a lot of you forgot to read past the first few words he posted.

"Looking at getting an amp for home use "

I've got the BA112 and I love it. It's perfect for sitting around the house practicing. It has a lot of different tone options with the 5 way selector switch. I also use mine sometimes if we have a little acoustic jam at a friends house because it's so easy to carry it also takes up very little room.
  12. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've owned both of these combos.

I gigged with both of them (w/ PA support). As far as an amp for the house... BA112 hands down. IMO, the BA115 has a very generous power rating of 100w. While the BA112 is quite conservative with the 50w. In a band setting, the 15 almost always ended up getting drowned out; but the 12 blew me away. I once played a gig with it, and the bass sounded awesome. A lot of people in the crowd commented on the sound that night. Here's the kicker: after playing, the soundman told me he didn't have any bass signal. I looked, and sure enough: nobody had thought to hook it up!

Another point to mention is the "portability" of the BA115. I remember how much I hated carrying this amp around. It only has one (yes, ONE) handle to carry it. It was quite a hassle. On the other hand, the BA112 was a cinch to tote around.

Plus, the 112 doesn't have a tweeter. I do recall the BA115 being pretty hissy; but the BA112? Nope.

So personally, I'd go with the BA112. It sounds amazing, it's light, and will suprise you when you plug it in.

I think I just answered one of my own questions. That being, "what am I going to use for an amp next year at college?"

Thank you.