1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg BA115 100 watt

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Clark W, May 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
    I picked up an older BA115 today, the 100 watt version, for $150.

Not a bad combo. Cranked up it didn't seem like 100 watts though. Then I kicked in the Keeley compressor with it's levels, blend, and output at around 75%. Boy did that make a huge difference in volume. Doesn't really matter. After today it's not going to see very high volume levels. It's strictly for the convenience of having something I don't have to move around just to practice and will stay put right where it's at.

I got it for the sole purpose of having something I could play through in my computer / practice room. Got tired of lugging my GK from the living room, through the kitchen, down the stairs and through two doors just to practice. And then having to lug it back to load up for gigging. So now my GK stuff can stay in the living room because it goes out the front door and loaded into my SUV every week for gigging.

IMG_20190510_123443028.jpg

garp and PockySteve like this.
  2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Believe it or not, I used to use one of those at a weekly bar gig. The club owner was a former sound engineer and decided he didn't want bands to blow out his customers' ears. So he backlined that amp and two 15w 1x12 Fender guitar amps. Those plus an unmic'd drum kit. It was a long, narrow bar with brick walls and a tin ceiling. Basically a sound tunnel. It ended up balancing perfectly unless the drummer thought he was in Motley Crue.

AstroSonic, Clark W and PockySteve like this.
  3. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
    I could see me being able to use it in the gigs I do now. I currently use a GK MB210 II (350w @ 8ohms / 500 @ 4 ohms with an ext cab) and I barely get to turn it up to 9 maybe if I'm lucky with the gain at 12, boost around 3. I try to sneak up to 10 when we're setting up by keeping the volume on the bass down. That way I can throw some more volume to it without anyone being able to see me throwing more volume to it. And now that I'm using a Keeley compressor it can get even louder on those same settings if I go nuts with the levels on the Keeley. So the BA 115 would have no problem doing those same gigs. Band practice might be a different story. We tend to crank it up at practice more than we do live.

Tonight I've been hanging at the house, working on and playing along to Aerosmith's "Seasons of Wither" and the BA115 blends in nicely with the Altec Lansing system that I'm using to play Aerosmith through without having to dump a lot of juice to it.

I had considered either the Fender 1x10 40 watt Rumble ($199) or the Ampeg 1x10 40 watt combo ($179) new instead of a used combo. But for $150 used I could get 60 more watts by getting the BA115. And I really wanted either a 12 or 15 for practice at home since I'm gigging and doing band practice through 10s, just so I had something a little different. It is definitely more than capable of handling what I will use it for. And in a pinch, would work for some gigs if I had to use it for that. The 40 watters I don't believe would be able to. The kick back design is a nice feature too.

Last edited: May 10, 2019