Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg BA115 in a Jazz/Big Bang setting

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by travatron4000, Jul 7, 2001.

1. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The subject tells most of it. I just got one to replace my old peavey which was starting to sound like crap because the dustcover on the BW 15" developed a tear which totally disinigrated the it. Why'd they use aluminum anyway? Also the Peavey was 20-30 lbs heavier and larger. I really like the way the Ampeg sounds with my Peavey Fury II with Fender Stainless Steel Flatwounds on it. I havent tried it with my double bass yet because the Fishman pickup and preamp are on the boat from WW+BW. The guy at the music shop, who is relatively young, not compared to me but to the rest of the shop guys, but has played guitar in a jazz setting for a while and said it would work. Though I got it at a different shop because his shop didn't have any in stock so it kinda made me feel like an ass. Anyway, do you think it was a good choice? I'm going to college at Northern Michigan University in August and plan to study Music and play in the Jazz group(s) available to me.

travatron4000

2. The Ampeg BA's are excellent sounding! I was really impressed with the sound so much I was ranting to other customers in the store who also agreed...awsome little amps. The BA115 was plenty loud and has a nice output to run into the pa/board. Has that total Ampeg throatiness in the sound...completely blows away any amp in that comparable range. Id say you'd be fine with it. That midrange "style" adjustment is very nice too.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Quite possibly the perfect amp for your situation. Factor in the CD inputs and headphone out and you have a very good silent practice rig, too.

4. I'd say my Ampeg BA-115 is suitable for just about any style of music.

5. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    I think you will be very happy with it.For your needs it's an excellent choice.Ive had mine for some time now and never had a problem with it.Only negative i can say about it is the lack of an ext cab jack.Otherwise,it's great.Good luck!

6. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I have one of the BA115's, and have used it for everything from emo/pop to punk to full blown rock and metal.... I am packing it up for an audition tonight. I have never had a problem with it not being loud enough, one time I had to really push it with a preamp to go up against a Crate Blue Voodoo Stack... No problems though! One of the best amps I have ever had. Plus I use it pretty much exclusively for practice at home, just run into it with a Bass Pod (with the svt/8x10 model, of course... sounds really good)

7. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Hmmm. "Ampeg BA115 in a Jazz/Big Bang setting"? That amp has got to be the loudest one ever conceived! ;)
    - Mike

8. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    oops, sorry mike

:D