Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg ba115 or GK 400 rb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassist519, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Bassist519

Bassist519 Guest

Feb 6, 2003
    Albany,New York
    ok here I am going to guitar center going to try out the ampeg BA-115. Ive been looking at this amp for a while and i started playing it and it sounded great. So when i get ready to leave a guy working in the store says that i play mostly things from Flea and slap bass (which is true.) He says the ampeg is way to muddy for doing that kind of stuff and he showed me the Gallien Krueger 400 RB (210). He says on friday it will be on sale for $400 and the original price is $750. What do you guys think. Is the GK better for slap bass and for flea stuff, or should i stick with the ampeg?

2. The GK 400 RB (210) is a little brighter sounding then the BA115.

I've owned both and I am really big on Ampeg, there resale value is better too.

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Flea uses GK, but if you don't like the GK, don't buy it. Listen with your eyes shut.

4. pencil124

pencil124

Nov 27, 2003
    gk is so much cleaner.
    no ampeg comes close to any gallien krueger

5. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've owned both those amps, if you play a 5 string much don't get the GK because it's speakers can't handle a thick B string, thin no problem, but not thick. The Ampeg sounds great all around but it won't give you the same kind of snap that Flea gets from his stuff, I'm a Flea fanatic too and I dumped the Ampeg because of that. They're both great, in my opinion the GK has actual better tone, but the Ampeg has that classic great boom to it. You can't go wrong bro, take whichever strikes your fancy.