1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

AMPEG BA115 should i get it??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by babs1234, Apr 21, 2006.

1. babs1234

babs1234

Apr 19, 2006
    PHOENIX, AZ
    i have the chance to get a brand new ampeg BA115 for $350 should i get it?? and i really dont need anything louder than 50watts for right now i just screw around with friends on the weekends and such

please respond

nick

2. ptidwell

ptidwell Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    babs1234,

I use this as my practice amp. It is actually a 100 watt amp.
    350.00 for a new one is a good deal IMHO.On this site at the top of the page is a Gear Review tab, look up Ampeg its easy to find reviews on this amp.

3. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I've tried out a number of BA115's and found them to be very quiet and dissapointng for a 100 watt amp. The B100R smokes the BA115 in every catagory IMHO. It's more money but worth it.

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    He speaks the truth.
    You should be able to find a used B-100 in mint condition for your $350.00.

5. vroc38

vroc38

Jan 5, 2006
    Seattle
    PM sent.

6. RobertUI

RobertUI Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I too was very dissappointed in the BA115 that I had. It's a nice enough sounding combo, but not anywhere NEAR what I think 100W should sound like. I played through it 1 time with my band before selling it. It was fine when I was by myself, but with my drummer I had it on 9 and was asked to turn it up...

7. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    $350.00 is a good price for one and they sound nice. But...I returned mine and upgraded to the BA115HP because the tweeter hisses a lot and it's real annoying at low volume. If that doesn't bother you than it will serve you well.

100 watts isn't much for a bass amp and it will get smothered by a loud drummer. If you use it as a stage monitor and have PA support it will work fine for small gigs, as long as it's not a loud gig. The nice thing about them is that it has nice quiet balanced D.I. on the BA115's. Thats good to have if you ever need to use it at a gig and you need to run a signal to a board.

My BA115HP has 220 watts and uses a HF Horn in place of the tweeter unit in the 115. It doesn't hiss like the 115. It's louder than the BA115 but I'm pretty much at the limit of it's cababilities playing a small to medium indoor gig with two guitarists using 65 watt amps (Line 6 Felextone II & a Peavey TransTube) and a not so heavy handed drummer drummer.

You may want to consider something other than the BA115. For the price I think there are better values in combo amps. Don't get me wrong. I like my Ampeg combo but I think they are a bit over priced for what you get.

I would also ad that my Ampeg has spent a considerable amount of time in the shop since 12/05.

Check out:
    Peavey TNT 115 combos. Solid reliable amps, lots of features, so so tone but can be made usable. I rely on my Pevey Combo 115 a lot since my Ampeg has been in the shop.

Eden Nemesis Silver Series combo models. These are nice, lots of nice features and sound pretty good.

Line 6 Low Down Lots of features and amp modeling. Has 150 watts.

Yorkville XM200 combo I have never played one because nobody near me in So. Cal sells or stocks them but they get a lot of love in here.

All of these have more to offer than the Ampeg BA115. Some are a little more money but they are worth it in the long run.

Good luck.

8. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I bought one used from a local guitar shop for $350. Excellent condition. I do like the kick-back cab and the tone is nice - especially with the 5 presets. Ampeg tone is nice.

On the down side, no ground switch. That proved to be a problem at a gig I did recently. I was running direct and had a hum with the house sound system. Didn't have a ground lift plug with me. Fortunately someone else did. Hisses quite a bit though, but I've been told that's not unusual for Ampegs. 100 watts is barely enough for stage sound playing with a 4 piece rock band. Plus this sucker's a bit on the heavy side. The CD inputs are a joke. Wasted money as far as I'm concerned.