1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg BA115 vs. Carvin MB12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JPMo, Jan 11, 2012.

1. JPMo

JPMo

Dec 27, 2010
    Canton, Ga
  2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Hi,

I owned the BA115, and have a new, in the box, Carvin MB15.
    The Carvin have more features, compression. And at 250 watts
    much louder than the Ampeg.
    If you interested I have two Carvin MB15 and would sell one (New never used except to see if it works)
    For $300.00 I paid $350.00 plus $30.00 shipping for it.
    Come with original box, warranty, power cord.
    Mojo

3. JPMo

JPMo

Dec 27, 2010
    Canton, Ga
    That is actually not a bad deal! How is the tone on the Carvin, Is there any buzzing? I really like all the features plus the extra wattage that the Carvin has, but Ampeg is just such a favorite around here

4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Two different animals. The Ampeg gives you fat, bassy old school tone where the Carvin is clear and transparent. For rock and blues, the Carvin MB12, which is a 12" 3-way combo, will take some tweeking and still won't sound as fat as the Ampeg "flat". The Carvin is versatile though, plus you can add that new MB115 extension for a full 250 watt, full-range rig.

Kind of apples and oranges.

5. wyldryce

wyldryce

Feb 15, 2010
    Annapolis
    Yeah, it really depends on what your goals are for the amp.
    My stage rig is an Ampeg SVT3-pro through a 410HLF, so when I started doing a small trio side project and needed a practice amp for that space, I went and tried the BA115 at GC. I was sorely disappointed; it was pretty poopy sounding in my opinion. Also the eq was all cuts, no boost. You roll the knobs off and the volume falls off to almost literally nothing, even with the volume dimed. I ordered a Carvin MB210 a week ago and should be getting it soon. Crossing my fingers that it will suit the bill better.

6. +1 Carvin MB12.... it's got some nice features such as: DI level control, compressor, two parametric EQ, and tweeter control.

Heres the warranty info for the Carvin stuff:
    http://www.carvinservice.com/crg/home.php

7. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ
    I have owned and played a Rumble 75. The R75 has a 12" speaker with great power for the speaker. However, it did not present the deep, fat sound I was looking for and is not capable of connecting easily to a board.

I recently purchased the Ampeg BA-115. It has a 15" speaker that produces the fat sound I wanted. It is 100 watts and powerful straight up. However, I purchased a Digitech compression pedal and it really produces the sound I want.

It also has a connector to plug direct to a board console for hot, clean amplification at a small to medium gig or for direct recording.

Get a more powerful amp and cab if you are playing larger venues.

8. I had a Ampeg ba115 and now use Carvin. No question, buy the Carvin. I also owned a GK MB115 for 1 day. I returned it after one rehearsal. Nuff said.

9. redcloud

redcloud

Oct 6, 2011
    I have the Carvin MB-12 and the 115MB powered extension cab. It has lots of nice features and seems well made.